PDA

View Full Version : alternator mounting

rthy
21st June 2008, 08:56 PM
I would like to hear what do people think is the best place for an alternator on various 4age engines? I like it on the intake side down low but I think what I have now is a little too low.

I currently have this:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148362.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148363.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148394.jpg

which I think is definatley on the crap hole end of my so called fabrication ability. I am thinking of making a new mount up (and maybe a few extra for guys on here) that sits a little higher and is machined from a solid block of steel for no flex and perfect alignment. Same princible as now but just significantly better made with the mounts that the pivot bolt for the alternator shaped above the mounting points for the block mounting holes, so therfore this would also hold the alternator very close to the block and higher up.

feedback welcome

slide86
21st June 2008, 09:02 PM
go the JGTC style and mount it under the car and run it off the tailshaft :)

and that setup looks good for us GZE boys. id definetly be keen on a Q designed bracket

Gunner
21st June 2008, 09:53 PM
I prefer intake side, I don't like the idea of that much heat near electrical components.

Where you have fitted isn't too bad Sam, though you could easily fit it that low on the intake side, and leave room for cooling outlets & etc. If it sat below the sump flange i'd say its too low, but it above it so you do have a good 6-8 inches from the bottom of the sump. If your worried of stones or road debree make a shroud or somethin.

Though I don't agree with the adjusting bracket being mounted to an exhaust flange bolt.

Rhys

rthy
21st June 2008, 11:43 PM
slide 86: yeah I figured that everyone with a GZE would be crying out for a common off the shelf alternator that is compatable. Its going to be a long while before I buy my mill and potentially jig it up to make some of these but if I do I really don't think it would cost much to make the bracket alone, I am looking at under $50 not including the tensioner.

gunbz-r: I have thought about putting it low down on the intake side, for example look at this pic below thats a picture of the classic RWD 20v cooling system problem:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/135758.jpg

it doesnt take a genious to figure out that putting a hole-saw through the alternator for the cooling hose isnt going to work so well. This is the reason why I moved my alternator in the first place. Now looking at that pic I have been thinking of something along the lines of what your talking about, how does this sound; I considered putting the alternator upside down so it just clears or rubs against the lower radiator pipe with a RWD pump. Obviously by pissing off that existing mount I would have a swinging pivot near the bottom. Beats me if I would have the room for it but I am going to check it out. I am always looking for ways to make things better laid out in my setups. heat is a good point but seeing the alternator is further foward and lower than my flange it shouldnt cop too much but you never know eh?

With my current design apart from the crappy way I made it I don't mind the position. I know though its a little to low as it doesnt let the drive belt have enough of a wrap around the main pulley as what I would like, but this is why I would raise it a bit. Also with the tensioner while I will still use that design, the way I did it in the first pics was crude. If I was to make a few extra mounts ontop of remaking my own then the tensioer would still work on the princible of ditching the existing tensioners which I find to be bulky, heavy and pretty prone to seizing up with the old fasioned pull away and tighten type. The difference from last time being would be that I would keep the angled tensioner quite close to the alternator instead of having it come down on a 45 degree angle from the exhuast flange like now.

Can anyone think of a better tensior option? I really hate the stock design. Another thing I started to make is a tensioner thar suited what I had now but had a long thread to pull the alternator so it ended up being like a hybrid between the 20v type design and what I run now. I think I will get back to that.

choom78
22nd June 2008, 12:35 AM
why not 16v RWD alternator bracket?

rthy
22nd June 2008, 12:55 AM
its either hard to come by or its quite expensive.

Ok I admit i don't know the exact design that well but I am guessing that the Trueno mount I would personally find I like my mount to be lighter, lower and closer to the block.

Golberg
22nd June 2008, 01:46 AM
This is the RWD alt bracket for your reference:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii10/Mighty_Duckster/4A-GE%20Water%20Guide/alt_bracket.jpg

I bought mine off ebay here in Australia, only paid $56 for it, brand new toyota genuine. I couldn't believe how little it went for I'm guessing people just didn't know what it was (this was like 2 months ago).

And yes it'll solve all the worlds problems (well at least all of the RWD cooling alternator problems)

rthy
22nd June 2008, 01:49 AM
ok thanks, I went looking for a good picture but I couldnt find anything. Looks pretty decent, any chance of a pic on the engine?

Golberg
22nd June 2008, 02:40 AM
Well this is all I've got on me right now:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172111.jpg

That was my first temporary water setup, its now got a different thermostat inlet and heater return pipe. It also now encompasses the throttle body water supply too. I'll try get some better pics for you tomorrow (its in the car now)

rthy
22nd June 2008, 10:59 AM
looks really neat overall. So there isnt much of an issue in regard to fitting under the lower radiator pipe?

Golberg
22nd June 2008, 10:12 PM
I've got those photos for you now:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172165.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172166.jpg

In the second image you can see that I've used an AE82 remote thermostat inlet, the reason there is that the 4AC one which I had on in the first pic really wasn't ideal and it still directed the pipe into the top of the alternator. The added bonus of the AE82 inlet is that there is a thermo switch in it, for me it doesn't matter because I'm running the clutch fan (because I like the neatness and factory look and the car is only to be a daily).

The engine is pissing out oil from somewhere in the pump region so I'm thinking I might pull the engine out again and have a look at that (as opposed to doing it in car). I've also got to swap the cross member out too so I think it'll be easiest that way, at which point though I should be able to take better pics if you'd like.

For the record, this is a small port 4AGE in an AE71 sedan.

rthy
22nd June 2008, 10:27 PM
once again thanks for the pics,

I had no idea the snout off a remote thermostat would fit on a RWD water pump housing, I never even considered it.

I thought the rwd 4age had the alternator on the exhuast side?

Nikkojoe
22nd June 2008, 10:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jun 22 2008, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=550500)</div>

I had no idea the snout off a remote thermostat would fit on a RWD water pump housing, I never even considered it.

I thought the rwd 4age had the alternator on the exhuast side?[/b]

Nope, always intake side. :)

Also the rwd 4age water outlet is directed to clear the alternator as opposed to the 4ac one (since the alternator sits on the oposite side on a 4ac).

rthy
22nd June 2008, 10:33 PM
wow all this time and I had no idea.

Well that mount if I tried would of been hard if possible for me at all to make and would of only been as a favor for a few people I know. So I will concentrate on the exhuast side mount insted which is what I originally was thinking of. Seeing that design has been a great help though and it has given me an idea on how to do my alternator tensioner.

Golberg
22nd June 2008, 10:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jun 22 2008, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=550500)</div>

I thought the rwd 4age had the alternator on the exhuast side?[/b]
What Nikkojoe said above is correct about the alternator mount and the inlets.

I've noticed that quite a few thermostat inlets of the toyota variety are interchangeable, I was looking at a 1GGZE and noticed that it has one the same size except it heads off at 90 degrees from the thermostat. It'll fit I'm just not sure which direction it'll point when installed, another option to think about perhaps.

Borrowed from somebody elses photobucket account:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172170.jpg

I'd say from that though it wont work, as it'll point up or down rather than to the back or front

mech`s blue
25th June 2008, 10:32 PM
also the other good thing about the 4age rwd alternator bracket is that the 20valve alternator bolts straight in to it aswell

as i have just found out today