PDA

View Full Version : taking off the steering wheel

munchen
23rd June 2008, 11:33 PM
i wanna get the steering wheel off on me 86. i thought id ask exactly how before i break it. can anyone help?

Sherlock
23rd June 2008, 11:36 PM
Seriosuly?

Take whatever is covering the nut up in the midde of your steering wheel, then grab a 17mm or 19mm socket (I forget what size) with an extension, crack the nut, undo a little.
Then give steering wheel a few yanks till it pops off the spline, then remove the nut and presto...no steerer.

munchen
thought i should add a pic just in case

RobertoX
get a screwdriver, pry out the little biscuit / badge thingo.

then get a 19mm socket, extension bar and ratchet. Undo the nut til it's only a few turns from coming off.

then shake and try and pull the steering wheel off, this will take a bit of effort.

when it's loose, take off the nut completely and remove the wheel.

not removing the nut completely stops you from smacking yourself in the face with the wheel when it flies off :)

munchen
23rd June 2008, 11:37 PM
there is no screws the steering wheel is whole no face to remove

munchen
23rd June 2008, 11:39 PM
i was going to try and remove the badge but i thaught it was glued on its stuck on pretty tuff

munchen
23rd June 2008, 11:40 PM
haha i feel like such an idiot i really thaught that was a badge and there was a trick to these wheels lmao thanks for makin me realise >.<

RobertoX
23rd June 2008, 11:41 PM
nah it just pops out. put the screwdriver underneath, lever it out and presto.

shorty
23rd June 2008, 11:42 PM
pop that off^ use ur wheel brace or 19mm socket

take nut off, give ur wheel a few hard thumps either side and a wiggle and she will pop off!

make sure ur front wheels are straight when u take ur steering wheel off :D

ur learn after a time or 2 :lol:

munchen
23rd June 2008, 11:43 PM
yeah i learned on my exa don't worry about that haha yeah stupid mistake shoulda realised that badge would come off thanks guys lol