PDA

View Full Version : CO2 gas with a mig welder instead of Argon

rthy
24th June 2008, 02:24 AM
I have recently seen a mig welder advertised that it comes with a regulator to use carbon dioxide gas instead of an argon mix for normal steel welds. The regulator has a built in 240V heating element to stop it freezing up.

Anyone know or have used anything like this.

- Sam

Alex307d
25th June 2008, 07:41 AM
Carbon Dioxide is used for heavy industrial welding. It produces a MUCH hotter weld than argon/argosheild. Don't use it on cars.

balistic
25th June 2008, 10:21 AM
I may be wrong - but I think I read something about CO2 adds more carbon into the weld or something making it harder but possibly more brittle? I can't quite remember the details so don't take it as gospel?

dustyae86
25th June 2008, 02:41 PM
had it at my dad's for a while, for soem reason you go through shitloads of it, and it's not the best to weld with, better off using argon I think

stalker
25th June 2008, 04:50 PM
Hehe, I just doin a welding night class at the mo, and someone asked the same question.
the tutor basically said that it will cause more splatter and that it makes it harder to make nice welds with as well.

Pretty sure he said something along the same lines as what Highlife was saying above too....but we all stopped listening at that stage lol

rthy
25th June 2008, 10:44 PM
yeah i have found out more and indeed it looks like it does splatter more, so I am giving it a miss.