PDA

View Full Version : alternator woes?

sdm86
28th June 2008, 07:17 PM
last night in town was sitting in traffic, stalled the car (yes lol) and started the car again, the "charge" light on the voltage gauge on my dash came up
and hasnt turned off since, drove from town to my house in scarborough and then let it sat over night and drove to fremantle today. drove home, both times started first time, now its not starting without a jump

is this the alternator or the regulator ?

or is it just best bet to get an new alt ?
where can i find one cheap ?

hatzo
28th June 2008, 07:53 PM
Put a multimeter across the battery terminal while the engine is running.

If its over 14 volts , then that means something else is wrong.

Loose connections to battery , the battery itself ,
shorts, bad earth, ect.

DR86FT
30th June 2008, 10:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d1doony @ Jun 28 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=553853)</div>
last night in town was sitting in traffic, stalled the car (yes lol) and started the car again, the "charge" light on the voltage gauge on my dash came up
and hasnt turned off since, drove from town to my house in scarborough and then let it sat over night and drove to fremantle today. drove home, both times started first time, now its not starting without a jump

is this the alternator or the regulator ?

or is it just best bet to get an new alt ?
where can i find one cheap ?[/b]

it is the alternator well if its internal reg. is it 4age or 4ac? i forgot if the 4ac had external reg. also could be diodes, brushes, reg. don't know till u test it and take it apart.

samc
30th June 2008, 11:05 AM
if its the alternator just replace the brushes. it's pretty cheap and easy as to do.

sdm86
30th June 2008, 01:36 PM
yeah its not holding charge, but it will still start with a jump just wont hold charge got an alternator last night going to put it in tonight and hope for the best.

edit: yeah its a 4age

Sprinter86
30th June 2008, 04:48 PM
The only thing that really goes wrong with 4ag alternators is the brushes wearing out, ive havent seen a faulty reg yet as they are great quality.

Budowski
30th June 2008, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d1doony @ Jun 30 2008, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=554507)</div>
yeah its not holding charge, but it will still start with a jump just wont hold charge got an alternator last night going to put it in tonight and hope for the best.

edit: yeah its a 4age[/b]
if its not holding charge would that be holding a stable charge rate from the alternator or the battery it self is not holding charge ?

eg 14 volts from alternator while running but battery dead after being left for a while would be the battery maybe

chaRwie
30th June 2008, 09:30 PM
man i would take it off and get it rebuilt. Mine cost me $180 and it was like 3 day turn around. I had to get mine done coz i had the same problems then, mine couldnt charge the battery and i had to tow it home, even with jumping it

sdm86
30th June 2008, 11:36 PM
new/old alternator out of a GZE fitted and works a treat.
thanks twinkytodd ;)

skit
1st July 2008, 09:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sprinter86 @ Jun 30 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=554587)</div>
The only thing that really goes wrong with 4ag alternators is the brushes wearing out, ive havent seen a faulty reg yet as they are great quality.[/b]

On the contrary, my reg died a few weeks ago (no doubt after a very long life). I had it replaced with a new denso unit which happened to be faulty as well. Unlucky I suppose. Had it replaced again with another denso & now everything is good. Agree with you on the whole though, denso quality is usually up there.

sdm86
1st July 2008, 01:06 PM
most toyota products in general are of a high quality. :)

Nikkojoe
1st July 2008, 03:29 PM
You sure its from a gze dan? Or is it off todd's turbo motor? If its off todd's turbo motor then it makes sense as gze wont fit into a normal 4age bracket (rwd or fwd, the bottom pivot is wider on gze).

Todd
1st July 2008, 08:10 PM
yeah its off that turbo motor nikko.
which means its just a 4age one.
good to hear it works a charm dan.

glad to be of assistance. cheers