PDA

View Full Version : Where's my thermostat at?

jamekins
29th June 2008, 01:00 PM
Since buying my car my dad noticed that the temp gauge wasn't working properly. This was put down to needing a new thermostat. On furthur investigation we couldn't find it. So the question is simply where is the thermostat on a 4AGZE taken from an AW11?

Clinton
29th June 2008, 02:00 PM
follow the radiator hosing?

Sparkle86
29th June 2008, 05:05 PM
The GZE engines have a remote thermostat housing, so it will depend on where it was mounted during the conversion. should be in the bottom rad house some where betewwn the rad and the water pump. Although it is possible that it was left off when the conversion was done and this could be your problem!

DavisJD
29th June 2008, 08:51 PM
Temp gauge not working will be your sensors not the thermostat.

Theres one at the back of the head and one at the front.

Sparkle86
30th June 2008, 08:29 AM
True, but if there is no thermostat at all the gauge could possibly read very low all the time, there are some very poor conversions out there!!

verm69
30th June 2008, 10:13 AM
the only thing that will happen if you didn't have a thermostat is it would take a little longer to warm on a cold day...

DavisJD is right... it's the temp sender, has NOTHING to do with your thermostat...

jamekins
30th June 2008, 12:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Jun 30 2008, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=554417)</div>
True, but if there is no thermostat at all the gauge could possibly read very low all the time, there are some very poor conversions out there!![/b]

Well the gauge sort of works. Its either not moving or sitting a quater of the way up. engine seems to take its time to warm up too.

DavisJD
30th June 2008, 12:11 PM
Replace the sensors first, there under $10 each. Also check the connections at the top of the sensors are clean and making good contact.

If you think you still have an issue with temp, might be worth investing in a proper gauge to see the exact water temperature.

I'm fairly sure the stock gauge wont start moving until you hit about 50degC

RyGuy86
30th June 2008, 01:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DavisJD @ Jun 29 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=554286)</div>
Temp gauge not working will be your sensors not the thermostat.

Theres one at the back of the head and one at the front.[/b]
^^^ YUP YUP..

your pin on the front is your guage... you need to make sure that bad boy is still allgood.. it wont be actaully part of your new loom, it just passes through it.

the one on the back in the water -temp sensor that sends the signal to your ecu.. directly nothing to do with your guage..

Sparkle86
30th June 2008, 07:54 PM
I would be more concerned with the quality of the conversion if the thermostat has been left out all together!!! you can test the temp sender, just stick it in some boiling water with the ignition on and see if the guage moves. Also to check the guage itself I think you just earth the wire that goes to the sender and the needle should go all the way hot.