PDA

View Full Version : tie rod end thread is a bit stuffed

sprinters_r_mad
1st July 2008, 01:10 PM
refer to last post from me!

ok, I'm trying to install my coilovers myself and its the first time ive ever done anything like this and I'm hoping to learn a few things while I'm doing it BUT considering ive never done this before i have very little knowledge

so heres my question:

at the bottom of the coilovers theres 4 bolts. The thing I'm stuck on is that the bolt heads are not facing outwards, there in lies my problem.

ok, SO to get to these:

[attachment=27747:IMGP1605.JPG]

do i have to undo these bolts (circled in the red)?
(The bit I'm talking about is circled in green)
[attachment=27748:IMGP1606_painted.JPG]

and what other sort of stuff will i need to do to install these 4 bolts?

please don't flame me for not knowing much, I'm giving it a go

cheers guys :2thumbs:

monkae86
1st July 2008, 01:19 PM
you have to pull off your caliper and rotor to have access to those.

Also its better to ask an ignorant question that to do screw it up or give up before even trying.

SNAP
1st July 2008, 01:27 PM
your 2 bolts in red are for the calliper to mount to the calliper bracket
the ones in green mount the calliper bracket and backing plate to the bottom of your strut.

the ones u have circled in green are put in the same way as the top picture

I'm not sure what u need to know

if u just want to take off your break assembly and put in on your new coilovers:

1. u need to take the calliper off 1st ( red circled ones)
2. take the center lock nut out in the center of the hub, should have a split pin in it 2.
3. pull off the rotor and hub
4. now u should see the 4 bolts in the 1st picture they will remove the calliper bracket and backing plate.

now you should have a bare strut like your 1st pic.

to re assemble onto you new coilover struts just do the reverse ov what u did to pull them off..

you only need some sockets with and extension bar.

and don't go balistic on doing the center hub bolt up...

just tighten it up a little then back it off and don't forget the split pin!!!!!

hope this helps dude

sprinters_r_mad
1st July 2008, 06:13 PM
yeah guys, there both perfect explanations, now i just need some muscles so i can undo the caliper nuts :P

LIL BLU MAN
1st July 2008, 07:04 PM
ur answer to that is roids.

Gunner
1st July 2008, 07:18 PM
^^^NO, the answer is more/better leverage. Don't go tellin people to tke roids, kids read this too.

Rhys

kewagon
1st July 2008, 07:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jul 1 2008, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=555158)</div>
^^^NO, the answer is more/better leverage. Don't go tellin people to tke roids, kids read this too.

Rhys[/b]

ROIDS FTW :teehee:

well done for at least trying mate, it saves a lot of money when you do things yourself...

seek
1st July 2008, 07:42 PM
just to add to SNAP's post... please use new split pins when assembling.... almost each strut ive pulled apart (about 5pairs) has had twisted and fucked up split pins that snap when you apply the smallest amount of force to pull them out.

new ones cost like $2 for a packet of 8

rthy
1st July 2008, 07:51 PM
buy a breaker bar

seek: well said

sprinters_r_mad
3rd July 2008, 04:02 PM
does anyone have any ideas on how to unscrew the outer tie rod ends when theyre 20+ years old <_<

they look like this atm

[attachment=27840:IMGP1608.JPG]

any help would be appreciated, its the only thing left, then i can put everything in and cut skids :P

cheers guys :2thumbs:

ke70dave
3rd July 2008, 04:16 PM
outer tie rod?

do you just mean tie rod?

if so the rack end screws into it (rack end being the one with the thread on it, and screws into the tie rod)

its just out side that picture.

should have some 19mm? 17mm? nuts on them, and you just get 2 spanners on them and go either way, then just screw it off.

the tie rod might be a bit stuffed, so might have to use multigrips if spanners don't do it.

you can see the thread and stuff I'm talking about in this pic

http://www.eskimo.com/~mikeg/S2000/tie_rod...ie_rod_boot.jpg (http://www.eskimo.com/~mikeg/S2000/tie_rod_boot/orig_tie_rod_boot.jpg)

sprinters_r_mad
3rd July 2008, 05:10 PM
yeah i realise that now, ra40 celicas have inner and outer tie rods which was why i was confused

ra40 inner tie rods and outer LCA bushes are proving very difficult to find <_< and i need both to continue :angry:

Rollabender
3rd July 2008, 06:50 PM
AJPS has both of these man, probably on the shelf too. He's helped me out a few times when i've been in a bind.

johl
4th July 2008, 02:02 PM
my tie rods were reverse thread so make sure ur doing it the right way

sprinters_r_mad
11th July 2008, 03:44 PM
has anyone had a problem with bolt threads?

the thread on my outer tie rods is a little bit stuffed at the top. its only a couple of threads at the top, the rest of it is good, is there a away to fix this?

i got new bolts from toyota today so they are definately the right size, just need a solution, if there is one, to get the bolts on <_<

Sparkle86
11th July 2008, 06:36 PM
You mean to get the nut on?

You could get what is called a thread file. It is a tool that has the form of the thread on it and you can use it to restore slightly damaged external thread (eg. bolts). you wold need a metric one. See the link below for a pic of what to look for:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SYKES-PICKAVANT-THR...idZp1638Q2em122 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SYKES-PICKAVANT-THREAD-FILE-RESTORER-METRIC_W0QQitemZ160259129660QQihZ006QQcategoryZ309 17QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp 1638Q2em122)

cuzzo
11th July 2008, 09:52 PM
Get a new or another second hand one. [best way <<]

You could probably cut off the bad part and smooth the edges (with a nut on there first) then undo the nut and it will cut the thread. Wind it on and off a few times.

You will possibly run into wheel alignment problems cutting it off because you may lose adjustment.

marvis
11th July 2008, 10:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sprinters_r_mad @ Jul 11 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=560028)</div>
has anyone had a problem with bolt threads?

the thread on my outer tie rods is a little bit stuffed at the top. its only a couple of threads at the top, the rest of it is good, is there a away to fix this?

i got new bolts from toyota today so they are definately the right size, just need a solution, if there is one, to get the bolts on <_<[/b]

File them?