PDA

View Full Version : steering lock

mtgg85
2nd July 2008, 02:41 AM
whats the best way to get as much as possible steering lock in a ke70 and what wil i need?

pebbles
2nd July 2008, 02:58 AM
dunno about best way but i have an AJPS lock spacer in my car n i find it pretty sick.

if you have ae86 struts then get 86 power steering arms aswell they will increase it even more

and if u want even more i think if you put an 86 steering rack in it has slightly more lock? maybe, not sure on that last one

ke70dave
2nd July 2008, 03:00 AM
damnn...that guy beat me to it!^^^

as much as possible eh.

from cheapest to most expensive

-lock spacers (chuck that into search, youll get some nice pics, under 50$ + wheel alignment)
-power steering arms (available from the sponsors around 200$ ajps, pretty sure you need ae86 struts though, might as well get them anyway)
-quafe quick rack (edit: doesnt increase lock, but its UBER fast steering, so it feels like you got more!, pretty exy, around 400$ + fitment)

why am i still awake? its like 2am...

rthy
2nd July 2008, 07:51 AM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/faq/inde...US/lock_spacers (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/faq/index.php/SUS/lock_spacers)

another option is an s13 front end, looks like they get some serious lock too

Gilly
2nd July 2008, 10:08 AM
all above info is correct bar the quick rack option

it doesn't increase lock over a standard rack and you can't use lock spacers in conjunction with a quick rack due to the rack bed itself determining the rate of travel not the contact of rack ends to the rack housing.

you can run a single slip on spacer on the passenger side of the quaife equipped rack and re centre it as you would with a screw in style lock spacer, however the lock gained from this is marginal.

japlish
2nd July 2008, 10:16 AM
what i'm going to do is get some ae86 p/s arms and make my own ncra's that will adapt my stock ke70 struts to ae86 p/s arms, i've done it before and it works a treat AND saves you money :greenbounce:

johl
2nd July 2008, 10:26 AM
cheapest way is to get more teeth cut inot the stock rack and machine down the housing so it will not foul. or get a lock spacer instead of machining down the housing.

RobertoX
2nd July 2008, 12:04 PM
pmed

rthy
2nd July 2008, 07:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johl @ Jul 2 2008, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=555484)</div>
cheapest way is to get more teeth cut inot the stock rack and machine down the housing so it will not foul. or get a lock spacer instead of machining down the housing.[/b]

I am not too sure if I would call that an easy option, i mean who would even have the ability to machine a rack? even if they had the equipment I bet that shit is case hardenened

rthy
2nd July 2008, 07:20 PM
hey I just had a thought, the rack is not the thing that limits the lock, not by a long way, this is why the lock spacers work the way they do.

Gilly
2nd July 2008, 07:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jul 2 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=555717)</div>
hey I just had a thought, the rack is not the thing that limits the lock, not by a long way, this is why the lock spacers work the way they do.[/b]

correct in the case of the stock rack, they have "unused" teeth but are limited by the rack end contacting the rack housing. lock spacers allow these teeth to be utilised.

however

the Quaife quick racks limit travel using both the conventional rack end contacting the housing but are also limited by the number of teeth in the rack bed. sucks really, i see no advantage in that setup, other than the ridiculously quick steering, i'm happy with that :)

i should grab some pics, i have both a quaife and stock rack at my disposal

resol
2nd July 2008, 08:40 PM
you also need to look at what these changes will do to the handling of the car.

*rack spacers; no change to steering 'feel', adds extra turns to get to full lock (so 3 3/4 turns instead of 3 1/4).
*shorter steering arms; steering gets 'quicker' and 'heavier', similar to adding castor.
*extra teeth (ae86 rack); same as lock spacer.

with all options of extra lock (particularly with stock rollas) is that you start to run out of room inside the guards (depending on wheel offset, tyre size, wheel alignment). i fould that my tyres would hit the inside of the guard near the chasis rail. so also worthlooking into extra track to give some breathing space.

-dan

MountainRunner
2nd July 2008, 09:22 PM
ae86 rack
ps arms
lock spacer
14x7 0 no scrubing!

has a bit more lock left too!
[attachment=27822:CIMG0766_800x600.JPG]
[attachment=27823:CIMG0767_800x600.JPG]

70XIN
2nd July 2008, 11:08 PM
hmmm interesting

i think robo86's rubs on the INSIDE guard at full lock, and that's with substantial offset (the work 03's)

he isn't running too-silly camber, and only has PS arms installed at this point

i could be wrong though

MountainRunner
2nd July 2008, 11:47 PM
what LCAs ? I'm running xt130 lcas and NRCA's too!

70XIN
3rd July 2008, 02:37 AM
stock

although that might be the answer to it in a way, you have that extra XX mm's of track

hummmm :turned:

MountainRunner
3rd July 2008, 11:29 PM
wheel sizing need to be right to

14x8 -22 or wateva they are shouldnt scrub ? i can test fit 14x8 0 for ya to see if the lcas and nrca do help ogh and i got adjustable camber tops