View Full Version : dash light issues

trueno85
15th May 2009, 11:47 AM
wierdest thing happend i turned off my car went to a shop for ten minutes then came back to start it again then i noticed when i was driving that the battery light and rear lights light was still on even though it was fine. Then i realised that when i revved over 3k all of them turned off including the headlights light (it was night) then came back on under 3k. eventually after like 10 minutes they turned off for the rest of the trip even the headlight light

does anyone have any idea why this would happen? also its a digital dash standard if that helps! no other lights dimmed of anything else affected

ke_70
15th May 2009, 04:16 PM
happened 2 me 2 but when i braked they came on

86coupe
15th May 2009, 10:17 PM
Whenever I see those lights come on, I turn off every unnecessary electrical item and make a dash for home as I know the alternator has failed and there's not long before the battery runs out, the ecu shuts down and its game over.

Javal
15th May 2009, 10:38 PM
happened 2 me 2 but when i braked they came on

Completely different problem. Yours would have been caused by a bad earth on the taillight loom.

Whenever I see those lights come on, I turn off every unnecessary electrical item and make a dash for home as I know the alternator has failed and there's not long before the battery runs out, the ecu shuts down and its game over.

Agreed with this. Your alternator is not charging. Could be a number of problems with it, but you're probably going to have to replace it.

First of all though, do the visual inspection - make sure none of the wires have come off the back, and that the battery terminals are done up nice and firmly.

trueno85
16th May 2009, 12:32 PM
oh really? okay then have to figure out what to do! so even though they turn off again at 3k revs it will be the alternator going?

trueno
17th May 2009, 12:55 AM
yer alternator is about to go.it happen to me once

Golberg
17th May 2009, 01:01 AM
oh really? okay then have to figure out what to do! so even though they turn off again at 3k revs it will be the alternator going?

Think of it this way, at 800 rpm (standard idle) those lights shouldn't be on. So in otherwords at 800rpm the alternator should be charging enough to keep the light off. If the lights stay at anything below 3000rpm it means it having to spin the alternator all the way up to high speed to just scrape enough power to avoid the charge light coming on. So even at 3000rpm its at minimal charge. It'll only get worse, and usually very quickly, alternators quite often just let go in one hit.

So in all seriousness don't drive the car until you have got the alternator looked at. Otherwise you will almost definitely get stranded somewhere with a flat battery and a non-charging alternator = not going anywhere on its own steam, even with a jump start.

ke_70
17th May 2009, 01:12 AM
Completely different problem. Yours would have been caused by a bad earth on the taillight loom.

Agreed with this. Your alternator is not charging. Could be a number of problems with it, but you're probably going to have to replace it.

First of all though, do the visual inspection - make sure none of the wires have come off the back, and that the battery terminals are done up nice and firmly.

wouldnt happen 2 know where the earth is just quick (save me an hour of fuckin round)
sorry 4 usein ur thread

Golberg
17th May 2009, 01:16 AM
Off the top of my head, I think there might be one just under the RHS tail light.

ke_70
17th May 2009, 01:25 AM
cheers mate

Javal
17th May 2009, 02:51 AM
cheers mate

I believe it's on upper area of the rear beaver panel inside the boot, around the center, maybe a bit off to the right if memory serves.

Just a single wire with a round connection and a bolt through it. Remove bolt, remove wire, scuff up metal contact surface, re-install, do it up firmly. No earthing problem.

ke_70
17th May 2009, 03:02 AM
hazards, parkers and the occasional shorting of the right blinker also went im guessing there different things all 2gether
cheers

Javal
17th May 2009, 03:09 AM
hazards, parkers and the occasional shorting of the right blinker also went im guessing there different things all 2gether
cheers

Parkers are earthed off the same wire as the brakelights.

Unsure about the rest. Might be a indicator switch assembly problem.

Try the earth first.

ke_70
17th May 2009, 03:12 AM
na tryed a new switch let ya know how i go 2 mora
thanx 4 the help

ke_70
17th May 2009, 01:05 PM
i found the earth connection is fine but nothins different
also found the wires that couple the brake lights indercator ect 4 the trailer took these all out and rejoinded them still nothin but i think this might of fixed the random right blinker short though
so parkers,
brake lights
brake lights when the lights r on
dash lights
hazards
all still dont work
wot other earths should i check?

Javal
17th May 2009, 01:53 PM
check your fuses too.

ke_70
17th May 2009, 02:26 PM
been there done that

JDM_KING
17th May 2009, 05:45 PM
yeah i had a problem with the hand brake light,when i put it down the light still stayed on???

ke_70
17th May 2009, 08:47 PM
anymore earths i can check? pretty sure it has 2 b an earth

Javal
18th May 2009, 12:03 AM
anymore earths i can check? pretty sure it has 2 b an earth

Not much more i can do for you bud, short of going through the car with my test light.

yeah i had a problem with the hand brake light,when i put it down the light still stayed on???

There's a switch on the h/brake assy that switches the light on and off. Probably crapped out and earthing constantly.

ke_70
18th May 2009, 06:09 PM
im goin on an earth wire hunt now i think it may b the earth on the gearbox if there is such a thing

trueno85
20th May 2009, 09:54 PM
ok well i changed the alternator but the weird thing is, is that now the headlight light doesnt come on while i'm driving only when on accessories would this be an earth issue?