PDA

View Full Version : carbon canister

86adz
30th July 2008, 05:29 PM
hey just wondering what the thoughts are on not running a carbon canister aka charcoal canister and just venting breather line from tank to atmosphere. I take it you could probably get done for not having one? is anyone running an after market one? just that mines fucked and gets in the way trying to run larger radiator and pod filter

ke70dave
30th July 2008, 05:42 PM
aftermarket carbon canister?!?! man what will they think of next...

venting to atmosphere = bad idea, you can get done for it, and also you don't want petrol fumes hanging around

theres a reason they use petrol in cars, and thats cause the fumes blow up real easy....

if i were you i would just relocate the stock canister if its that much of a drama, its only got rubber pipes attached, you can just move it anywhere you like really...

af300e
30th July 2008, 08:58 PM
Dave, your lawn mower have a carbon canister?

It's purely a pollution thing. Pretty sure no cars before 1976 had them, maybe even later than that.

Just move it if you are worried about being busted.

ke70dave
30th July 2008, 10:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Jul 30 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=568975)</div>
Dave, your lawn mower have a carbon canister?[/b]

nope, but i don't sit inside my lawnmower!

af300e
30th July 2008, 11:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Jul 30 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=569062)</div>
nope, but i don't sit inside my lawnmower![/b]

LOL, so pre-pollution cars vent the tank inside the cabin?? :P

You can safely vent to atmo, but don't get busted.

rthy
31st July 2008, 01:01 AM
I have been told one of the daihatsu's have a very compact model if you want to swap to something easier to package

choom78
31st July 2008, 12:49 PM
a. relocate to rear - keep ur vacuum line as it will still need it to run
b. use a tank breather - look at older model cars
c. use smaller one - I found one recently from a mazda and as big as ur fuel filter

I would suggest only a & c.

They are needed to help fuel tank from overpressurising as well (I don't think our petrol caps contain pressure valves).

rthy
31st July 2008, 06:42 PM
hey thats some interesting ideas, this whole time I never thought of moving my charcol canister to under the car next to the fuel tank. I can use the larger metal line thats reserved for the charcol canister feed to be my petrol return line and use the old return line to be my new vacuum line. I will look around and see what different charcol canisters there are around

federal
31st July 2008, 07:02 PM
just remove it altogether.....

so many of us just ditch them anyway.....am yet to see 1 single problem caused from not having one.....

86adz
31st July 2008, 08:55 PM
thanks for the replies guys i've managed to relocate it. was not gonna continue to use it but i've read a few things saying that after a hard drive or on a hot day the smell of the fumes can become strong under the bonet and also inside the car, not to mention a potential fire hazard..

af300e
31st July 2008, 10:34 PM
If you were going to delete it you wouldn't leave the vent line running to the engine bay anyway, just terminate it at the tank with a one way valve in it to stop fuel spilling out in a rollover.

There isn't a fire danger if it's done with a little care, and like I say, lawn mowers vent to atmo and they don't seem to spontaneously combust........

I wouldn't worry too much about the vapour, remember cars running rich AFM blow unburnt fuel out the pipe, and carbies with bowls full of fuel sit above/beside a hot engine. It's not really an issue.

redsprinter
1st August 2008, 09:54 AM
ive used one from a 180sx .. LOL ... nice and small. i put it under the driver side garud . food for thought ...