PDA

View Full Version : Engine questions

dewar
1st August 2008, 06:42 PM
hey guys!

I just scored myself a red AE86 it needs some work (nothing major) but i have a question about the engine.

Its a 4A-C Carby engine and from what i understand this is the only engine that came in ADM models, however i wanted to put something abit
newer and with more power, that being said i thought i'd just go a N/A Engine - now since i don't want to fuck about with engineers certificates
and the like i was wondering what other engines were avaliable and that i wouldn't have to get an engineers certificate for.

I've been told from Vic Roads:

" any engine that was a factory option can befitted to the car" i asked does that include case that are JDM? if a better engine was offered in that model you can, in your
case i'd suggest that you get a letter from toyota saying that it did have other engines and have a list of what they were - an international spec sheet and a letter from some at
Toyota - a manager or someone of that sort - then we would allow it.

so before i go buy a 4AGE i was wondering those of you who have installed a different engine and what process you went though to get it registered did you have to
get Engineers Report and so forth.

please post here, as I'm wantingto go get quotes on engines and panels so i can get my loan

Cheers

monkae86
2nd August 2008, 01:14 AM
hey mate, this has been covered before so you should do a bit of searching but generally you can just go to vicroads and tell em the change of engine number as its basically the same engine (they don't know the difference)

the only main difference between a 4a-c and a 4age is the head. Vic roads will only see 4Axxxxxxxxxx... when you change it over.

dewar
2nd August 2008, 12:41 PM
hey man

i did a serach but didn't come up with anything - can you show me a link

thanks

Driftspec
2nd August 2008, 12:56 PM
Its a very grey area, mainly because the authorities don't have an answer for the situation of replacing the engine with one that was standard overseas. Thats a why a lot of guys just do the conversion without necessarily getting it approved or plated.

While there have been plenty of threads on this in the past, I don't think there was ever a solid answer. I do think that it will need to be engineered if you are going to do it properly, because even though the block and capacity are essentially the same, there is more power output, more torque etc so the authorities might not like that too much as just a simple engine change.

DavisJD
2nd August 2008, 01:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monkae86 @ Aug 2 2008, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=570063)</div>
hey mate, this has been covered before so you should do a bit of searching but generally you can just go to vicroads and tell em the change of engine number as its basically the same engine (they don't know the difference)

the only main difference between a 4a-c and a 4age is the head. Vic roads will only see 4Axxxxxxxxxx... when you change it over.[/b]

Incorrect, I found out about this, even if you say it is the same motor, so you just need to change engine numbers, it will have to go to Vicroads so they can check the engine number in person. Then your playing with fire as to if they can tell its not a 4a-c.

Intense
2nd August 2008, 02:23 PM
VSI 8 - 3.2 Engine Changes

- An engine or transmission change where the replacement is of the same model, type and capacity as one fitted to a vehicle of that model as original equipment; or

- An engine or transmission offered as an option for that model by the manufacturer of the vehicle provided both the modification and assessment are carried out in accordance with the guidelines contained in this information sheet.

VSI 8 - 11 Replacement Engines

An engine which is of a type offered by the manufacturer as an option for that vehicle may be fitted provided that:

- All other related components including structure, suspension, brakes etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as optional original equipment by the manufacturer; and
- Acceptable evidence is supplied which certifies that these components are fitted in accordance with factory methods and the vehicle in its modified form is safe and complies with the applicable regulations for that model vehicle.

An engine which is not of the same type as offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle as original, but is similar in power, weight and emission standards to that of the original engine, may be fitted to such a vehicle. If alteration to the vehicle's frame or structure is involved and specially fabricated supports or structures are used, an Approval Certificate must be supplied.

Where it is intended to fit an engine which is significantly different from that offered by the manufacturer as originoal or an option , (e.g. four to six cylinder or six to eight cylinder), then an Approval Certificate is required as evidence that the vehicle in its modified form is safe and meets all applicable construction and emission regulations for that model. It is recommended that a VASS signatory is consulted before commencement of this type of modification.

dewar
2nd August 2008, 08:29 PM
All other related components including structure, suspension, brakes etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as optional original equipment by the manufacturer; and
- Acceptable evidence is supplied which certifies that these components are fitted in accordance with factory methods and the vehicle in its modified form is safe and complies with the applicable regulations for that model vehicle

so basically pgrade the brakes to toyotas JDM model and suspension aswell and a 4age can be fitted? without the engineers cert?

Hen is a total nutcase
4th August 2008, 12:18 AM
By the rules anything other than a 4AC needs an engineers.

You can bend or break the rules in plenty of ways, most of which you'll get away with... at least for a while.

Make your own choice. And yes, this has been discussed to death, search in the Vic section.

Hen

Driftspec
5th August 2008, 04:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (h i t o r i k o @ Aug 2 2008, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=570398)</div>
All other related components including structure, suspension, brakes etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as optional original equipment by the manufacturer; and
- Acceptable evidence is supplied which certifies that these components are fitted in accordance with factory methods and the vehicle in its modified form is safe and complies with the applicable regulations for that model vehicle

so basically pgrade the brakes to toyotas JDM model and suspension aswell and a 4age can be fitted? without the engineers cert?[/b]

Being an overseas model, no. That rule applies if you are, for example, swapping a Clubsport motor into a Commodore, you need the rest of the gear to make sure it stops and handles fine, and you can do it because it was an option. ADM AE86 spec is ADM spec, I doubt that you could get away with claiming JDM spec was an option (although some people say it was, there is plenty of doubt).