PDA

View Full Version : fowling problems

zed x
2nd August 2008, 05:26 PM
hi.
every no and again my car refuses to start because the sparkplugs fowl up with heaaaps of fuel (there nearly drippping when u take them out lol.)

anywaysquestion #1 is this simply because my car is running waayy to rich and is outta tune (its has a microtech ecu in it)
quesiton #2 it has race plugs in it atm - are normal plugs more resistant to fowling?

cheers

Red_ae71
2nd August 2008, 05:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#109 @ Aug 2 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=570308)</div>
hi.
every no and again my car refuses to start because the sparkplugs fowl up with heaaaps of fuel (there nearly drippping when u take them out lol.)

anywaysquestion #1 is this simply because my car is running waayy to rich and is outta tune (its has a microtech ecu in it)
quesiton #2 it has race plugs in it atm - are normal plugs more resistant to fowling?

cheers[/b]

i think it's all got to do with the heat range of the plug

dr1ft-pig
2nd August 2008, 06:04 PM
what is the number on the plugs u have in it???

id suggest a hotter plug, this helped heaps on a carbed 4age i put in a ke70

for example we had b**6es plugs in it and went to a b**5es and yeah it heelped heaps

zed x
3rd August 2008, 07:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dr1ft-pig @ Aug 2 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=570322)</div>
what is the number on the plugs u have in it???

id suggest a hotter plug, this helped heaps on a carbed 4age i put in a ke70

for example we had b**6es plugs in it and went to a b**5es and yeah it heelped heaps[/b]

ok cheers ill check tomorrow!

350hp4agte
3rd August 2008, 07:29 PM
i think you'll find the lower the number the colder the plug I'm sure any auto joint could tell you tho

also microtech and most other ecu's switch the neg ( - ) not pos ( + ) so if one of the injecter leads rubs on the body or block it will just keep the injecter open, this actualy happend in my car and i ended up blowing a head gasket because the motor locked under too much pressure because the 4th cyl filled totaly with fuel

the way to check it is pull the plug for the injecters off put a meter between the two pins turn the egnition on if there is a constant 12v or close to it then your injecter lead it down to ground somewere

let us no what ya find

zed x
3rd August 2008, 07:43 PM
k cheers for the info...

only thing is all sparkplugs are flooded to the shithouse so yeah...
also would it ground out if the leads are simply rubbing on the block or would bare wires have to be showing surely for it to ground out

350hp4agte
3rd August 2008, 08:09 PM
yeh yeh what i ment was rubbing through so bare copper is showing my bad

pretty strange that all injecters do it might also be just your plugs and because you keep turning it over its trying to start but no sparrk so it keeps fueling up without spark hense the reason for the fuel on plugs

if i were you i would go out buy a set of normal ngk;s for $20 chuck em in see what happens mite be as simple as that

zed x
3rd August 2008, 08:32 PM
thats the plan!
but i defr think my cars running rich as hell

it also hates idling below 1500 or ever 2000 some days - sounds like its floodiing jsut befor it cuts out.. so yeah time for a tune.. more $$$ gonskies lol

hugh
4th August 2008, 01:37 PM
One thing I would definitely check if none of that stuff works is Coolant temp sensor...My one was fckd on my bigport. What it would do is drive fine and then sometimes just wouldn't start and the spark plugs would be black and dripping in fuel. The problem turned out to be the temp sensor was mildly fckd and would read the engine as fine at 80degrees and then the second you touched it, it would read the engine as 3degrees..hence the intermittency (if thats a word) of the car not performing properly...

fergo308
4th August 2008, 04:19 PM
if there's fuel dripping off of the plugs,then yes,you have a serious overfuelling problem,and that's what you need to fix first.

and it's foulling btw... fowling relates to birds.

Justin...

zed x
4th August 2008, 05:29 PM
haha ok my bad

well the cheap ngk's i replaced the race plugs with are helping it start so far...

annd yes ill be going down to get a tune soon if i don't swap it for an evo in the mean time :)

buster86
6th August 2008, 06:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (350hp4agte @ Aug 3 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=570702)</div>
i think you'll find the lower the number the colder the plug I'm sure any auto joint could tell you tho[/b]

The heat range scale on spark plugs differ between brands
eg. ngk the higher the number the colder the plug and i think champion do it the opposite way

do you have a hand controller if so how many m/s are the injectors pulsing at idle and what size are they?