PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converter

Bart
5th August 2008, 08:28 PM
hey guys

whilst shopping around for an exhaust, i had a wierd thought. Due to the price of a hi flow being so high, it got me thinking. With my car only being a 1.6L would i be right in saying that a catalytic converter from a standard higher capacity car, ie, a 4L for example, would flow just as good as a hi flow on a engine with a smaller capacity (my car).. I've spoken to a few mates, one called me an complete and utter f*ckwit and the other agreed with my strange thinking. Any help to the matter would be great...

Cheers Bart

Rollabender
5th August 2008, 08:33 PM
Yes one of these will get you out of trouble - HOWEVER.

Buying one of these brand new will cost you your firstborn.

Getting a second hand one is fucking stupid, however if it's to get you over the pits and only last you until you can afford a proper new one then it is excusable.

If you can afford to, just go out and buy a metalcat or some other namebrand one straight off the bat instead of fucking around down the track.

Gilly
5th August 2008, 09:28 PM
R33 GTST
any Gen3 (LS1) cat (commodore)

both work well, R33 GTST was proven in ZOOM magazine in a small capacity N/A cat convertor comparison

Gen3 cat is based on the same principle.

i used both. preferred the gen3 cat, the choice was not performance based but availability. any respectable exhaust shop will a few very low klm items out the back from the countless numbers of new SS's etc they fitted exhausts to.

i used to drive the cars there to get them done as a pre delivery option, thats how i got mine

kaibeecee
5th August 2008, 09:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rollabender @ Aug 5 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571663)</div>
Getting a second hand one is fucking stupid, however if it's to get you over the pits and only last you until you can afford a proper new one then it is excusable.[/b]

excusable? to who, you? Don't try to act as if you're the authority mate, you're only here to give advice.

As for the cat, I'd suggest buying a decent one off the bat, only around $250-300 new for a high flow style, and thats a pretty small price to pay. With that said i have seen people use commodore items with success. I've looked into it but found better items for a slightly higher price

that said, ask some exhaust shops about cat ID's that will match with your current exhaust setup

sdm86
5th August 2008, 09:34 PM
you don't need one over herre in WA if its pre 1985...

Fozz
5th August 2008, 09:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d1doony @ Aug 5 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571713)</div>
you don't need one over herre in WA if its pre 1985...[/b]

that rule is the same as every state as its an ADR.

if u have a ke70 or other car built before 85 then ur good bu if u modify it and put a 4age in it then u need a cat. if the motor came standard with a cat then u need one

Rollabender
5th August 2008, 10:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaibeecee @ Aug 5 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571710)</div>
excusable? to who, you? Don't try to act as if you're the authority mate, you're only here to give advice.

As for the cat, I'd suggest buying a decent one off the bat, only around $250-300 new for a high flow style, and thats a pretty small price to pay. With that said i have seen people use commodore items with success. I've looked into it but found better items for a slightly higher price

that said, ask some exhaust shops about cat ID's that will match with your current exhaust setup[/b]

Don't act like i'm going to care?

Some people just don't get AE's.

My point is that purchasing an unknown condition 2nd hand cat from a wrecker is not a good idea.

And you basically just regurgitated the contents of my previous post.

Great Job.

Bart
5th August 2008, 10:27 PM
cool. i don't think i woulda kept it there for good but at the moment, i need to change my gearbox and getting an engineers cert so was looking for something that was going to do the job for a few weeks that was gunna be a waste of my hard earned cash

af300e
5th August 2008, 10:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rollabender @ Aug 5 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571752)</div>
Some people just don't get AE's.[/b]

LOL. AE's are largely low budget builds. You're right, some people don't get them.

There are plenty of good used cats around without going to a wrecker. All the wreckers around me cut them out of the cars and dispose of them anyway.

Rollabender
5th August 2008, 10:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Aug 5 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571763)</div>
LOL. AE's are largely low budget builds. You're right, some people don't get them.

There are plenty of good used cats around without going to a wrecker. All the wreckers around me cut them out of the cars and dispose of them anyway.[/b]

Wrong definition of AE :lol:

Alot of people still don't get those kinds of AE's, too.

Yeah i've seen some real dodgys with 'good' condition cats from wreckers blowing out suspiciously quickly....

Hence the idea of going to an exhaust shop for one is slightly better, however new is the best.

Nikkojoe
5th August 2008, 10:54 PM
I just used a v6 commodore cat, worked well. Was purchased new when exhaust was made.

Secondhand cats are ok if the car they are in has been operating correctly. Had a look at an original 4age cat thats done about 180-190,000km and it was still 100% perfect.

rthy
5th August 2008, 11:04 PM
i used a n13 SSS Cat, is ok but could be better. use to have a hollow cat (thanks pick a part)

if u can afford it get a metal cat
http://www.metalcat.com.au/

rthy
6th August 2008, 12:58 AM
I think you would get a pretty decent idea on the physical condition of a cat by first shaking it and visually checking it, sure it wont tell you if its been contaminated or not but still.

As Gilly said the old Commo cat is a cheap and popular choice

af300e
6th August 2008, 10:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rollabender @ Aug 5 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571770)</div>
Wrong definition of AE :lol:[/b]

You must have meant Auto Erotic then? lol

Rollabender
6th August 2008, 07:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Aug 6 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=571926)</div>
You must have meant Auto Erotic then? lol[/b]

:lol:

Marco
6th August 2008, 09:19 PM
if it's for the pits then go the second hand idea. and then get it chopped out and get your exhaust fitter to make you a stright through cat. hollow cat then flare the ends out a bit feed through a bit of whatever size pipe you are working with and weld it up at both ends:) works a treat cus it's a hollow cat that doesn't sound like a hollow cat. and most exhaust shops will do it for 40 - 50 bux if you know your exhaust guy.

franchi86
8th August 2008, 06:39 PM
mate you can get decent high flow cats brand new for not too much. check out this site.

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?produ...=275&page=1 (http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=16438&cat=275&page=1)

work just as well for an 86 as the more expensive brands.