PDA

View Full Version : Brake Squeel

Dish
6th August 2008, 08:46 PM
Hey guys,

Searching for some answers.

Last few days brakes have been doing this crazy squeel at low speeds, like pulling up to traffic lights etc..

Set-up is, RDA slotted and vented rotors, JDM calipers, RB74 race pads. Haven't been on the car that long. Few months. Not much lip on the rotors.

Anyone help me?

-Roy

Rollabender
6th August 2008, 09:06 PM
Try some stop squeal / rattle on the back of the pads.

Apart from that, just check condition / correct installation.

There are probably alot of other things that you can do to solve this, heaps of home remedies which i cannot recall. I may or may not be drinking.

Marco
6th August 2008, 09:31 PM
tried checking for a rock? it's always something small and gay. my mate had a rock causing a squeal only when he was on the brakes lightly...

howee
6th August 2008, 10:34 PM
its just dust..

Spray some degreesa in??

howee

mike86
6th August 2008, 10:38 PM
If you are running proper racing brake pads that is whats causing the squeelling.

Robo86
7th August 2008, 11:03 AM
^^yeah

choom78
7th August 2008, 11:10 AM
In addition:

* If they are new rotors, you need to use brake cleaner to wipe the protective oil film from the surface
* If your pads are low on thickness, it will squeeze (metal indicator that your pad is low).
* You can also get squeeling from not using 'anti-squeeling shims'. These stick on your pads and also on your calipers (each tab). These make sure the pads do not move around other than horizontally.

kaibeecee
7th August 2008, 07:41 PM
Its your pads not getting hot enough.

the squealing stops at higher speed/harder braking does it not?

Dish
8th August 2008, 05:19 AM
Indeed. But can happen when they're warm too. Noticed pads move in and out from rotor a few mm.

Thanks guys.

Waz
8th August 2008, 08:44 AM
Take the pads out and look.

Could try sand them back abit if the material looks glazed... Do it on thick sand paper or rough concrete, Move the pad in a figure 8 motion so it wont sand un-even.

Bobomacho
8th August 2008, 09:19 AM
^^

apply brake anti-squeal and/or backing shims when you sandpaper your pads and discs. u'll notice when you take our your pads and view your discs they will be shiny just roughen them up.

high brake application 'glazes' your discs and pads. unfortunaly this is the price you pay for brakes like your own where high brake application is a common event