PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass doors and Hatces on Ebay..

browneye
10th August 2008, 07:26 PM
G'day Fellas...

I have noticed fibre doors on ebay, they are $900 each...sounds fckn expensive...

Does anyone know who it is making them..., he is on the Gold Coast...

Was just hoping to get in contact or find out if the price is negotiable...maybe that is a good price..I don't know..

Regards

Scott

Delazy
10th August 2008, 07:38 PM
nope they are ridiculously expensive....

hit up buddy parts and get him to get some for you in his next container.....

origin are doing fibreglass doors which are affordable....

not something i would consider doing without side intrusions of some sort tho :S

af300e
10th August 2008, 07:40 PM
They are less than half that price on trademe.
And $1500 for a glass hatch? LOL

Benny
10th August 2008, 07:55 PM
JBLOOD CF doors for $2900 :ph34r:

riojin
10th August 2008, 07:57 PM
and the hatch doesnt even come with perspex or any other clear lightweright replacement for the window.

the glass in the hatch is the heaviest part.

af300e
10th August 2008, 08:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Aug 10 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=573803)</div>
JBLOOD CF doors for $2900 :ph34r:[/b]

And the CF is a total wank. It's not much lighter than glass, and the doors are hardly a structural part so the extra stiffness of the CF really only adds stiffness to the drivers pant area.

A moderate hit in a door and you've done $1500!!
At least the glass fibre ones are likely to be painted rather than raw (cause they look rubbish raw) so a repair would look reasonable.

riojin
10th August 2008, 08:51 PM
and youd repair it with fibreglass most likely ^ :teehee:

Benny
10th August 2008, 09:31 PM
CF > Anything.

af300e
10th August 2008, 10:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Aug 10 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=573866)</div>
CF > Anything.[/b]

Hard earned cash > CF

(in this case anyway)

slydar
10th August 2008, 11:02 PM
ebay ones are a joke. his add is kinda funny trying to justify the price.

hatch is a great idea. but as delazy said, unless you have an incredible cage, doors are a seriously bad idea safety wise.

AO86
10th August 2008, 11:09 PM
most of the cf available in body kits are wank your are just paying for the look
its still chop or cheap weave under neath

Mr Fujiwara
10th August 2008, 11:26 PM
if i had CF i would paint it anyway, i would only buy somthing fibre glass or CF for the weight, not the wank :2thumbs: .....but for the prices of both options, that dergree of weight reduction will be the last thing i do.

Benny
10th August 2008, 11:59 PM
CF doors are literally last on my mod list lol. But i'll get them regardless. Might, might not paint them. I love the look of carbon, I don't give a fuck if someone else doesn't haha.

Shahzan
11th August 2008, 12:39 AM
i love carbon fibre stuff,,,, but look at the price man,,,,

too expensive

dustyae86
11th August 2008, 06:24 PM
jblood ones from the states are $1200 US a pair, generally the reason carbon is so light is because less sheets ned to be laid up to get the same weight so it's not awank thing

af300e
11th August 2008, 06:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ Aug 11 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574223)</div>
jblood ones from the states are $1200 US a pair, generally the reason carbon is so light is because less sheets ned to be laid up to get the same weight so it's not awank thing[/b]

It's usually used where extra strength is required as the carbon creates a stiffer layup than glass fibre, but if you have a look at the panels on a ferrari f40, f50 etc, they are as thick as buggery!! It's almost as though they have glass fibre mat between two sheets of carbon fibre. In fact, this is often the way that carbon panels are setup. The outer layers of of carbon cloth stiffen the fibreglass base (keeps the cost down too).

For accident damage, carbon fibre is actually weaker than glass fibre as it cracks and breaks rather than spreading the load over an area the way that glass fibre layups do.

If you want a light, stiff low deflection material say for suspension spars in your formula one car, then carbon is shit hot.

I'd rather glass fibre for doors, body kits etc. Easier to repair.

Also regarding weight, the high end carbon layups are not shiny, but matte in finish. This is because a bare minimum of resin is used in order that the weight be kept down.

At US1200 at least they are more reasonably priced. Not that much different to the glass ones. I wonder if they are 100% carbon?

MSF Racing
11th August 2008, 07:46 PM
anyone make carbon roof panels for the 86

RobertoX
11th August 2008, 07:58 PM
^ graft on an m3csl roof haha

genuine parts....

riojin
11th August 2008, 08:09 PM
or just buy a convertable if you want less weight up top

browneye
11th August 2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks fellas...

Thought they were exxy...was just interested for the weight saving factor...

And I agree side intusion as a minimum would be sensible...

I remember seeing the 86 factory ones, but their website is now closed..

Regards

Scott

RobertoX
11th August 2008, 09:46 PM
but reduced chassis rigitity and add on 200+ kg

but in the convertible you would have a top heavy girl riding shot gun so it would reduce this affect....haha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Aug 11 2008, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574317)</div>
or just buy a convertable if you want less weight up top[/b]

Benny
11th August 2008, 09:50 PM
The J-Blood site said $2900 last I checked for FULL carbon doors.

ae86hachiroku
11th August 2008, 09:53 PM
Also factor in the massive freight costs for items of this size...

af300e
12th August 2008, 12:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Aug 11 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574415)</div>
The J-Blood site said $2900 last I checked for FULL carbon doors.[/b]

http://www.j-blood-na.com/86treno/index.htm

US$1900 both sides.

Weight difference between stock and carbon fibre is 22Kg. Considerable, but if your a fatty you'd look pretty silly with over 2 grand worth of carbon doors :P

Total weight loss for hatch, doors (carbon), bonnet is around 37kg. Total cost is close to US$3200 plus shipping. OUCH!!

riojin
12th August 2008, 01:00 AM
i would go carbon fibre bonnet (and have before). weight loss is considerable and you can tell a difference in handling.

hatch i would go fibreglass with some sort of low weight replacement for the glass (probably lexan or FAL). no need for cf hatch because the weight difference from fibreglass to cf isnt much on a hatch. couldnt justify the cash.

i would never go any doors but adm. anything else isnt safe enough for me.

Ae86sam
12th August 2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Guys,

My hatch is fibre glass, It came with the car from japan. Unfortunatly the window is glass (FAIL) but it is significantly lighter than a std metal one... Dunno if i'd pay too much for one though..

If your considering fibreglass or CF doors and hatchs you should also be thinking about all the weight loss possible from the car for the best lap times i.e complete interior strip... Not really worth doing unless you've pulled all the weight you can from every where else and really need those extra 2 secs per lap.. Not really for a street car...

Vezza
12th August 2008, 11:09 AM
Hmm... $4000 to save 22kg or put towards engine mods.... sounds like a tough choice to me ;)

ae86hachiroku
12th August 2008, 11:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Hmm... $4000 to save 22kg or put towards engine mods.... sounds like a tough choice to me[/b]

See, that's the fail mentality that too many people in Australia have these days.. It's always about power power power... Power isn't everything! There never seems to be balance.

Saving weight is an increase in handling and response, due to being lighter, there is less weight for the engine to drag therefore allowing it to have an easier job of pulling up = faster, more power

balistic
12th August 2008, 12:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae86hachiroku @ Aug 12 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574580)</div>
See, that's the fail mentality that too many people in Australia have these days.. It's always about power power power... Power isn't everything! There never seems to be balance.

Saving weight is an increase in handling and response, due to being lighter, there is less weight for the engine to drag therefore allowing it to have an easier job of pulling up = faster, more power[/b]

Thats right - but $4k is a lot to spend to lose 22kg. :blink: You lose more than from removing the sound deadening - and thats free! I can think of 100 things to spend $4k on that will give me a better performance hit then a couple of lighter doors! Unless you've gone all out to get the rest of the car up to speed and spent $$$$$, then cf doors are definitely wank factor!

ae86hachiroku
12th August 2008, 02:11 PM
That's assuming you would have already taken the sound deadening out, and done everything you can before spending money, you'll realise how hard 22kg is to come by once your past that point.

Any of these panels on a street car is retarded.

Ae86sam
12th August 2008, 06:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae86hachiroku @ Aug 12 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574631)</div>
Any of these panels on a street car is retarded.[/b]

Bingo...

I had them when it was my street car but only cause thats what it came with.. Wouldn't go out looking for them..

Benny
12th August 2008, 07:08 PM
Why would anyone even think of replacing a panel unless they hadn't removed everything they possibly could from the car first?

Vezza
13th August 2008, 01:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae86hachiroku @ Aug 12 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574580)</div>

Saving weight is an increase in handling and response, due to being lighter, there is less weight for the engine to drag therefore allowing it to have an easier job of pulling up = faster, more power[/b]

Yes... power isn't everything, but how much increase in overall handling performance would 22kg make? Sweet FA.... Well not $4000 worth that's for sure. It's not a fail mentality, it's a "I'm not made of money, that's why I bought a rusty old sprinter instead of an S2000" mentality.

DAMO46
13th August 2008, 02:14 AM
ken has a real valid point, the part is not ment to be your first mod, so you got some mad cf doors on.

its for the real enthusiasts or racer that has done pretty much everything from a 4k tomei crank to nitrogen in the tyres, this would be on the enthusiats/racer last choice of mods.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vezza @ Aug 13 2008, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574929)</div>
Yes... power isn't everything, but how much increase in overall handling performance would 22kg make? Sweet FA.... Well not $4000 worth that's for sure. It's not a fail mentality, it's a "I'm not made of money, that's why I bought a rusty old sprinter instead of an S2000" mentality.[/b]

to be honest you shouldnt use a sprinter as a rebound instead of your s2000, imo you shuld of bought it cause you like it not cause it was your only choice..

its not like a s2000 is worth hundreds of thousands its pretty achievable with a loan and some saving if thats what floats your boat.

Dom86
13th August 2008, 02:48 AM
ive been stipping down some ADM doors for drift. I think ive got the drivers door to under 15kgs and passenger under 10kgs. THe intrusion bar weighs about 5kg itself ;)

.....and it only cost some time and a grinder and blades. a hell of a lot cheaper then corbon. I would by carbon or fiber glass panels if i could.

its amazing to feel the diff between ADM, JDM(in full trim) and my drift Doors. ive done the comparison.

I'm with ken, that lighter is better! But if you can't afford it, you make your own :P

ae86hachiroku
13th August 2008, 10:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Yes... power isn't everything, but how much increase in overall handling performance would 22kg make? Sweet FA.... Well not $4000 worth that's for sure. It's not a fail mentality, it's a "I'm not made of money, that's why I bought a rusty old sprinter instead of an S2000" mentality[/b].

You'd actually be surprised at the difference 22kg makes, especially when the weight has been taken off from the middle of the chassis. If you can't feel a difference in performance after losing at least 10kg, then your being a softie and not driving your car hard enough. Sorry, driving your car from home to the grocery store doesn't count to validate whether it does sweet FA.

Benny
13th August 2008, 11:42 AM
+1 ^

People that don't understand just how far lightening a car will get you, haven't driven a car before and after lightening mods have been performed on a vehicle. You take the 25kg sound deadening out of your sprinter, you feel it. You take 22kg of door out of your car, you feel it. You take weight off the front, the rear, you feel it. But only if you drive the car in a way that allows you to feel it. Weight reduction on a street car, although not purposeless, doesn't do a whole lot, as you're not really trying to get the car to outperform a competitor, you're not trying to set a quickest lap time possible. You want a street car to be comfortable and ride well. A completely stripped out, race prepped sprinter will not be comfortable, but it will do what you want it to do. Thats all I want and I'll spend as much time and money as I have to, to get the car I want to drive. I'm sure many will do the same. Even if that means $4,000 doors.

Vezza
13th August 2008, 12:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (damo46 @ Aug 13 2008, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574934)</div>
ken has a real valid point, the part is not ment to be your first mod, so you got some mad cf doors on.

its for the real enthusiasts or racer that has done pretty much everything from a 4k tomei crank to nitrogen in the tyres, this would be on the enthusiats/racer last choice of mods.

to be honest you shouldnt use a sprinter as a rebound instead of your s2000, imo you shuld of bought it cause you like it not cause it was your only choice..

its not like a s2000 is worth hundreds of thousands its pretty achievable with a loan and some saving if thats what floats your boat.[/b]

Oh, don't get me wrong guys... if money wasn't an object, I'd buy every conceivable performance part for my car, but money is a factor.
Honestly aren't you missing the point? The whole spirit of tuning an 86 began mostly because it WAS CHEAP. You'll probably find people who are spending 4K on a tomei crank aren't even buying CF doors. Lets see... Tech arts D1-GP car, Powersports track levin, Hasselgren 86, KAI N2 AE86 (prob most N2 cars) all aren't using CF doors... Why? Most likely because the COST far outweighs the minute performance gains.

P.S. I don't think these guys are grocery shopping in their cars either....

balistic
13th August 2008, 01:20 PM
Yep 22kg will make a noticeable difference to the car on the track. Racing my WRX I would make sure I had less a 1/4 tank of fuel and I'd remove the back seat - these were small weight savings but you felt it on the race track(until they banned removing the rear seat for my class!).

I still stick by CF doors as wank! Anyone buying them are thinking about (how they look & bragging rights > performance gain). Sure they are light, but lighten the factory doors first, or go FRP which is basically as light - if your serious enough to run ligthened doors then you will have a cage with side intrusion so thats not an issue. The Sports Sedans series are the most seriously built and lightened race car series I know of in Australia, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a CF door in the whole field, because its bullshit expensive for Fck All gain - FRP sure there are plenty!

Vezza is 100% correct. If money wasnt a factor, and you wanted to win, you wouldn't be starting with an AE86 :confused:

Vezza
13th August 2008, 01:24 PM
Glad someone can see my point... was begging to think AE86DC was a forum for millionaires with a penchant for old cars....

DAMO46
13th August 2008, 03:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HighLife @ Aug 13 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575004)</div>
Vezza is 100% correct. If money wasnt a factor, and you wanted to win, you wouldn't be starting with an AE86 :confused:[/b]

well not really..

i sold my old car to buy my sprinter and it was worth tripple the value, even though it was the banks money its not like i sold cause i was living uncomfortable. i actual liked the downgrade

comes down to how passionate you are really

balistic
13th August 2008, 03:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (damo46 @ Aug 13 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575024)</div>
well not really..

i sold my old car to buy my sprinter and it was worth tripple the value, even though it was the banks money its not like i sold cause i was living uncomfortable. i actual liked the downgrade

comes down to how passionate you are really[/b]

But thats just it, we're not talking about passion here, we're talking about $$ for performance. Passion is counter productive when it comes to outright performance value because passion is emotional, not physics/science.

Benny
13th August 2008, 05:09 PM
So some people aren't willing to spend the money, some people are.

Moony31
13th August 2008, 09:06 PM
i am getting frp orgin one's to my door for $920 hey and thats both you can get j blood hatch for $850

Moony31
13th August 2008, 09:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vezza @ Aug 13 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=574999)</div>
Oh, don't get me wrong guys... if money wasn't an object, I'd buy every conceivable performance part for my car, but money is a factor.
Honestly aren't you missing the point? The whole spirit of tuning an 86 began mostly because it WAS CHEAP. You'll probably find people who are spending 4K on a tomei crank aren't even buying CF doors. Lets see... Tech arts D1-GP car, Powersports track levin, Hasselgren 86, KAI N2 AE86 (prob most N2 cars) all aren't using CF doors... Why? Most likely because the COST far outweighs the minute performance gains.

P.S. I don't think these guys are grocery shopping in their cars either....[/b]
all aren't using CF doors... Why? Most likely because the COST far outweighs the minute performance gains. cause they aren't able to read the rules they can't even run a small port head

Benny
13th August 2008, 09:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slidy86 @ Aug 13 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575163)</div>
i am getting orgin ones to my door for $980 ha and thats both you can get j blood hatch for $850[/b]
frp?

Moony31
13th August 2008, 09:48 PM
frp yes

ae86hachiroku
13th August 2008, 10:14 PM
N2 Cars and most of those cars listed, most definately use FRP doors. Not Carbon. Like said, Carbon is a little bit lighter, but not worth the extra cost, unless your really after a carbon car look, ie : RE AMEMIYA RX-7 with carbon everything. What I'm talking about is just the effectiveness of lightening such areas at all.

Dom86
13th August 2008, 10:18 PM
don't underestimate the benafit of a light wieght car....... :P

[attachment=29688:DCar_on_side3.JPG][attachment=29689:DCar_on_side2.JPG]

i rolled this on its side (alll by myself), so i could clean the underside.

if only i could keep it this light :pinch:

Benny
13th August 2008, 10:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dom86 @ Aug 13 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575201)</div>
don't underestimate the benafit of a light wieght car....... :P

[attachment=29688:DCar_on_side3.JPG][attachment=29689:DCar_on_side2.JPG]

i rolled this on its side (alll by myself), so i could clean the underside.

if only i could keep it this light :pinch:[/b]
After Winton on the 6th i'm doing this... Hopefully ready for the 28th! Haha i'm dreaming I think.

What did you use to get the shit off underneath?

Dom86
13th August 2008, 11:25 PM
Nah was just a high pressure water gun. Just gave it a degrees then a squirt to get it ready for paint.

Benny
13th August 2008, 11:45 PM
Oh ok. Some of em have got a weird kind of tar underneath em, I can only see it around the fuel cell on mine.

Gilly
14th August 2008, 12:31 AM
compressor + air drill + wire wheel set will clean up the underside really well

electric drill dies which is fair enough...

Dom86
14th August 2008, 01:54 AM
now thats an idea!

sounds like a big job..... :wacko:

Vezza
14th August 2008, 03:08 AM
I think the next big hit will be carbon doors filled with helium... However, hydrogen is optional, only for the most hardcorest of racers :D

browneye
14th August 2008, 11:16 AM
Hi fellas...

I am interested in these doors, but guess that gutting standard doors would be just as effective...

Just disappointed that someone obviously has the skills to make them out of fibreglass and then TRIES to sell them with
massive amounts of takumi tax...

I would buy them if they were around $500 a pair...surely there is still money in that for the manufacturer...??

Regards

Scott

ae86hachiroku
14th August 2008, 11:28 AM
You have to imagine, making a door is a lot harder than say a bonnet or hatch.

It'd have the inside layer and outside layer, the mould HAS to be good, so that you can attach all the locking and shutting mechanisms. Including your trim. etc etc.

In all honesty, people used to complain that there was no fibreglass items in Australia. Now someone makes them, and you're still whinging. Try bringing in the same parts from Japan, without getting smacked with freight costs and taxes.

No, it's not Takumi tax, Takumi never even used frp hatches or doors. lol

In saying that, wait awhile, I'm sure he'll realise his price is too high and drop it because no one is buying.

Vezza
14th August 2008, 12:38 PM
Yep I'd be onto a pair for $500 bucks, but $900ish does sound fair considering good bodykits sell for a few grand and a door is twice as complex.

balistic
14th August 2008, 02:03 PM
There was a mob in NZ(www.86factory.com) making and selling all FRP AE86 body parts, inc doors, hatches etc. But for some reason they're website seem to no longer exist? They were a lot cheaper than the ones on eBay.

Moony31
14th August 2008, 04:19 PM
yeah you can get them from nz for frp ones 800 before shipping
where i am getting orgin frp ones from japan for 900 to my door and also
soon as you hit the $1000 mark you get hit with more of a import tax

dustyae86
14th August 2008, 07:09 PM
get fibregflass stuff cause it doesn't rust, find a non rusted door :) $900 is cheap there is making moulds then keeping the moulds in good condition, resin matting, not getting bubbles, a lot harder than people think...

RobertoX
14th August 2008, 10:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slidy86 @ Aug 14 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575409)</div>
yeah you can get them from nz for frp ones 800 before shipping
where i am getting orgin frp ones from japan for 900 to my door and also
soon as you hit the $1000 mark you get hit with more of a import tax[/b]

that $1000 includes the shipping price

ie $800 item + $400 shipping = customs payable! :(

Dom86
15th August 2008, 12:00 AM
when considering the cost of these doors, you also have to consider the time involved in the whole process.

ie; making a mould of both sides of each door, reinforcing and goining the sides together.....

not an easy process, and even harder to get a good product out of it.

af300e
15th August 2008, 09:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truenosedan @ Aug 14 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575602)</div>

ie $800 item + $400 shipping = customs payable! :([/b]

It's probably only GST that you'd have to pay anyway. So if you are $1200, you'll pay another 10% ($1320).

That sound right Dave?

Delazy
15th August 2008, 02:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truenosedan @ Aug 14 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575602)</div>

ie $800 item + $400 shipping = customs payable! :([/b]

we all know that there are ways around that tho..... :whistling:

kaibeecee
15th August 2008, 07:15 PM
N2 Cars HAVE to run stock, metal doors with factory glass, it's in the regulations. States it on the entry form even

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae86hachiroku @ Aug 13 2008, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575198)</div>
N2 Cars and most of those cars listed, most definately use FRP doors. Not Carbon. Like said, Carbon is a little bit lighter, but not worth the extra cost, unless your really after a carbon car look, ie : RE AMEMIYA RX-7 with carbon everything. What I'm talking about is just the effectiveness of lightening such areas at all.[/b]

These fancy doors are a waste of money, nothing else. A mate has lightened his jap doors (no intrusion bars) by cutting all the centres out, and i mean ALL the centre, just leaving the outer sheet and I'd say they weighs less than those composite doors, and in reality, a lot safer cause theyre not splintering into a million pieces upon impact

and as said, if anyone used/uses composite doors without a roll cage with hefty intrusion bars, you're a fucking idiot.

ae71
15th August 2008, 08:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaibeecee @ Aug 15 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=575930)</div>
These fancy doors are a waste of money, nothing else. A mate has lightened his jap doors (no intrusion bars) by cutting all the centres out, and i mean ALL the centre, just leaving the outer sheet and I'd say they weighs less than those composite doors, and in reality, a lot safer cause theyre not splintering into a million pieces upon impact

and as said, if anyone used/uses composite doors without a roll cage with hefty intrusion bars, you're a fucking idiot.[/b]

eerr you still may want a cage with intrusion bars if you get the doors as you only have a sheet of metal protecting you.. still better than fiberous doors but.

Dom86
15th August 2008, 10:51 PM
You will get the same result using ADM doors,as the only diff between JDM and ADM is, less intrusion bar.

...and realistically, stripped/lightened doors are not really that much safer than carbon/FRP doors, as sheet metal willnot stop 1400kg of angry out of control nissan from 'intruding' into your lap! :P

Ive left the intrusion bar on the drivers side and have a full 'bolt in' cage with intrusion bar. not overly convinced with bolt in intrusion bar. ;)

af300e
15th August 2008, 11:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dom86 @ Aug 15 2008, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=576036)</div>
Ive left the intrusion bar on the drivers side and have a full 'bolt in' cage with intrusion bar. not overly convinced with bolt in intrusion bar. ;)[/b]

Your bolt in bar (if it's reasonable and at a good height) will shit all over the door intrusion beam for strength. It doesn't matter how big the door beam is, it hangs off a pissing little latch and a pressed tin door jamb. Have a look at a Benz door latch, they are 5 times the size of a jap one and the door jamb is reinforced too. Little wonder they weigh so much.

Moony31
15th August 2008, 11:46 PM

and as said, if anyone used/uses composite doors without a roll cage with hefty intrusion bars, you're a fucking idiot. QUOTE

have you ever picked up a frp or carbon door i can hold a carbon door with one finger in the air not to sure about frp but ill have them soon ill weight them and post it up

Dom86
16th August 2008, 12:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Aug 15 2008, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=576041)</div>
Your bolt in bar (if it's reasonable and at a good height) will shit all over the door intrusion beam for strength. It doesn't matter how big the door beam is, it hangs off a pissing little latch and a pressed tin door jamb. Have a look at a Benz door latch, they are 5 times the size of a jap one and the door jamb is reinforced too. Little wonder they weigh so much.[/b]

i just figured it'd be safer having both there!

dustyae86
16th August 2008, 04:02 PM
ok guys.... independently constructed vehicles. they are made out of glass yes?? BUT they have intrusion bars becuase it is a requirment for ADR's so there is bars glassed into the doors.... there you go one door that COULD (not would) meet ADR requirement's and still lighter. it dumb founds me how naive people are...

And import taxes are a complete joke, recently brought in two porsche boxes and without boring people with the details there is GST imort taxes, taxes because it is new to you taxes because it is new to the country, and then quarantine and "unmanned hours at the airport" half an hour for $80 for a box sitting there

ae86hachiroku
16th August 2008, 04:36 PM
My doors weigh 5kg each side, just fyi.

Easily lifted by a pinkie finger.