PDA

View Full Version : tie rod ends...

dunga70
19th August 2008, 07:11 PM
i have read the got camber thread.. ont think anyone has what i have. got confused by the thread after a while so many xt130, ra40, numbers everywhere.. anyway hoping someone can answer this before i go for wheel alignment tomoro. i have 86 strut in my ke70. when i got it i had sigmas in it with neg3.5 camber. with ra40 tie rod ends i think? so ive now put in xt130 corona arms the ra40 tie rods looked too long so ive put he standard 70 ones in and its very roughtly alighned.. tomoro arvo its goin to get an alighnment. can anyone tell me if the arms are gonn be too short? cause that would be embarrasing lol..
help would be good. thanks..
,jay

Simon-AE86
19th August 2008, 07:20 PM
you can use the stock tie rod ends, there will be enough thread

Sherlock
19th August 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm running the same, had a wheel alignment, it was mint. You'll be fine.

dunga70
19th August 2008, 07:25 PM
someone told me that 70 and 71 rods are different? true faulse??

Simon-AE86
19th August 2008, 07:26 PM
yes its true, but they are the same length, they are just a slightly different design i believe

dunga70
19th August 2008, 07:34 PM
ok thanks lads... ill give it a go tomoro.. can't get worse than how it is.. lol lets just hope it works.. cheers..

Ksevn-T
20th August 2008, 10:13 PM
Can you replace the stock tie rod ends with rose joints with bolts through them?

Gilly
21st August 2008, 01:57 PM
you can but you should really have a tapered insert to suit the tie rod mounting hole of the steering arm. it needs this taper to have a tight interference fit, just running a bolt through the hole will mean the steering arm when in motion (turning) can spin independant of the bolt which will cause it to wear, make noise and eventually snap if not corrected. the other issue is the bolt would have to be the same size of the smallest point on the arm hole which is the top, remember because its tapered the top and bottom of the hole is a different size so in reality the bolt only passes "tight" through a very small section of the tie rod end hole.

Ksevn-T
21st August 2008, 02:43 PM
Question answered. All makes sense now. Thanks Gilly