PDA

View Full Version : knocking/rattling

darkon
25th August 2008, 06:20 PM
Hey Champs

just got my ke70 4kc to idle with a new carby but now I've got a rattling knocking (vibrating) noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I noticed that if you push down on the carb or air filter it stops the vibration (yes the carb is bolted down). also as soon as you accelerate it goes away it's only at idle or zero throttle.

Fucked engine mount maybe?

or something to do with timing etc. causing the motor to vibrate excevisivly

as always any advice would be great.

one other thing the radiator leaked when i bought the car so I put a vp one in didn't really drive it with the old radiator but with the commo one temp is sitting at 3/4 hot and I just drove the car from canberra to sydney. temp only ever moved mariganally up or down, guage fucked or something else?

Vezza
25th August 2008, 09:27 PM
Could be any number of things... but if pushing down on the carb helped, then maybe tightening the bolts? But otherwise I wouldn't worry about it unless its unbearable, part of the charm of owning a shit box rolla :P

darkon
25th August 2008, 10:21 PM
it's pretty bad wouldn't mind figuring it out bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my cars

darkon
26th August 2008, 07:06 PM
no idea's anywhere?

I'm starting to think the temp and the vibration are connected.

maybe it's got a blown head gasket causing it to run a bit rough and run hotter

shakes
26th August 2008, 07:35 PM
my money is on an engine mount, see if you can't lift the motor up, the rubber inside it will almost fall away.

greeneyes
26th August 2008, 08:24 PM
Timing too advanced would make it vibrate at idle, but I'm afraid timing has to be too retarded to make it run hot!

Run it w/o a rad cap from start and put a thermometer in the top of the radiator to check the accuracy of the temp guage. That's pretty easy..

The vibration.. try running it w/o the air cleaner completely and see if that makes a difference. I assume you have the manifold support bolt working properly. Can you pin down the noise source a bit more with a big screwdriver or a stethoscope?? Is it a cylinder missfire, so if you remove the plug leads one at a time, is there one that doesn't make a difference?

Other problems would probably show if it was head gasket related- Poor starting when cold, backfires, miss in a cylinder, water in oil.. something like that.

Vezza
27th August 2008, 01:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkon @ Aug 26 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=580082)</div>
no idea's anywhere?

I'm starting to think the temp and the vibration are connected.

maybe it's got a blown head gasket causing it to run a bit rough and run hotter[/b]

What's it like on power, sluggish? If it's running fairly rough its probably blown a headgasket, which was what happened to me. Just check the oil to see if it's milky or take the spark plugs out and inspect them for moisture.

darkon
27th August 2008, 11:02 AM
cold start does almost sound like she's running on 3 cylinders, all so getting brown rusty mush in the radiator and there was a little bit of milkyness in the radiator cap but that went away. oh well I'm sure head gasket isn't really a biggy to change on these motors.

I think it could have the timing advanced slightly to much on my trip back it was pinging abit if you really gave it some in 5th

besides that it's not overly sluggish well my other car is a 250rwk r33 so i take the rolla for what it is but it accelerated from 100 up to 140 etc no worries, seems to rev quite strong so yeah not really sure

darkon
27th August 2008, 10:34 PM
had an interesting discovery while i was driving this afternoon....

at idle if i pull the gear stick towards me right up against the side the rattling goes aways all together making me think it might actually be a gear box issue

Vezza
28th August 2008, 02:56 AM
could also be the gearbox mounts.... any money all the mounts are about the same consistency of cottage cheese....

darkon
29th August 2008, 01:28 PM
okay update:

Replaced thermostate over heating fixed.

got a bar in on the passenger side of the engine and lifted the whole motor amay from the mount (5cm at least gap) I'm guessing this isn't suppossed to happen???

Vezza
29th August 2008, 02:25 PM
yerp... that'll be your problem there :)

darkon
29th August 2008, 03:08 PM
nice! pretty amazing it passed rego like that.....

autopro got em for $48 anyone else know of a cheaper seller? not to bothered $48 is pretty cheap.

Still not to bad for a $242.50 ebay job so far $50 on guard and head light, $40 on bumper, $40 on carby, free commy radiator and now $48 on this, Can't really complain.