PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure after conversion

wideslider
4th September 2008, 11:17 PM
Hey guys,

I have just put a 20v in my car and just cranking on the starter motot with

the filter off I don't have any oil pressure. Has anyone had this problem with a 20v

I know with my old L series datsun I just primed the pump and away it went

but not too sure what to do with this one.

Cheers

ke70dave
4th September 2008, 11:57 PM
first step i would try is to put the oil filter on, and seal it all up how it would be when it would be running.

then have another crack at it.

other thing might be that your pickup is clogged.

wideslider
5th September 2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah I first tried with the filter on, then i removed it just to check it had pressure which it didn't.

It runs through my oil cooler before reaching the filter so I have 2 ideas:

either I haven't cranked it long enough for oil to go through the cooler or

a blockage in the cooler or lines.

I will pull a line off tommoro to check if they have oil in them,

Bobomacho
5th September 2008, 12:27 AM
remove all spark plugs to make sure there is no compression when you crank it

you do not want to be putting to much pressure on those bearings when there is no oil pressure

af300e
5th September 2008, 12:27 AM
Bearing in mind that there is no footvalve in the pickup so the pumps are obviously designed to be self-priming, if you do discover that priming is actually your problem, try taking the pump off and packing the gears with vaseline. That should create enough suction to prime the pump.

I'd look at your lines etc before you do that though, it's unusual for a pump not to self prime.

rthy
5th September 2008, 12:36 AM
bad oil pickup? does the sump show any signs of ever being off before? as in extra sealer around the edges?

wideslider
5th September 2008, 12:41 AM
Sump looks to still have factory sealant on it and no hits in it,

I thought it would self prime also, I will take the plugs out and just try crank it longer and hope

the only issue is just the lines are taking time to fill, otherwise pump out time....

slide86
5th September 2008, 01:16 AM
fill your oil filter with oil and fill the filter holes in the block with oil so it drains back down into the pump. this should help with the initial suction the pump needs.

i always do the vasaline trick too. works well.

Benno
5th September 2008, 07:48 AM
easy way to fix, without pulling the engine apart, remove the oil pressure sender and jam a long peice of vacuum hose into the hole, hook the other end of the vacuum hose up to your vac port on the T/B. give it a crank without the plugs in.
the extra crank speed helping the oil pump and the vacuum on the oil gallery should prime it up quick.
don't do it for to long though, you'll end up with a intake full of oil.

Vezza
5th September 2008, 01:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benno @ Sep 5 2008, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=584038)</div>
don't do it for to long though, you'll end up with a intake full of oil.[/b]

Hmmm smokey goodness. You'll probably find that once you take the plugs out and crank it over for longer it'll prime, takes quite a bit with an oil cooler, especially if it wasn't filled with oil.