PDA

View Full Version : 4age Oil pressure sensor thread size?

eightsixboy
6th September 2008, 08:07 PM
I have just bought some pivot gauges and when i went to fit the oil pressure sensor it wont go in far enough, by the look of it the standard oil pressure sensor has a tappered tread and looks a different pitch.

Can anyone shead any light on this? The sensor that came with the pivot gauge is 1/8 pt.

And were would i buy an adaptor from?

Cheers.

af300e
6th September 2008, 10:12 PM
The stock thread is probably the same (1/8bsp) but tapered. If your new fitting is not tapered it won't go in very far.
"Total Tools" have a good range of fittings, they may have something that converts from straight to tapered.

eightsixboy
6th September 2008, 10:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (af300e @ Sep 6 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=584743)</div>
The stock thread is probably the same (1/8bsp) but tapered. If your new fitting is not tapered it won't go in very far.
"Total Tools" have a good range of fittings, they may have something that converts from straight to tapered.[/b]

mad :2thumbs: . Theres a total tools just down the road from work, will have a look.

Jonny Rochester
8th September 2008, 12:49 PM
The standard Toyota and Nissan oil pressure thread is 1/8" BSPT, which is a British standard, and pitch is 28tpi.

Most aftermarket gauges you buy have fittings that are 1/8" NPT, an American standard, and pitch is 27tpi.

To look at them, the tapered pitch and size look the same, but they are not. Get an adapter from your local race car workshop or engineering workshop.

eightsixboy
9th September 2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks johnny, exactly what i needed to know.