PDA

View Full Version : turbocharged - blacktop conrods

tauhu86
21st May 2009, 12:51 AM
is anyone running a turbocharger on their engine with stock skinny BT conrods?

if so, what's the boost u're running? whts the max that the rods can take?

todd
21st May 2009, 12:53 AM
dare you to do it and find out.

but seriously you wouldnt want anymore than 5psi MAX through it. otherwise its most likely going to pop.

even then its only a matter of time before it dies in the ass anyway.
hardly worth it imo. get a gze instead

Hen may possibly be a nut
21st May 2009, 01:31 AM
It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, qutoing an exact figure is pointless. A good tune, a reasonable rev limit and some sympathy could see them lasting a long time even at reasnoable boost. However they will never be as bulletproof as rods from AE92 or AE101 motors.

Either Josh Young or Beau Yates ran a turbo blacktop years ago (2004??) and from what I heard it did end up breaking. But then again, those boys do seem to enjoy breaking engines.

Hen

xero
21st May 2009, 09:19 AM
it was yates hen, but yates' motor was GZE crank and rods with forged 20v pistons

if your keen on turbocharging your better off taking a fulll GZE bottom end and bolting a 20v head to it and strapping on a turbo.

tauhu86
7th June 2009, 01:11 PM
Guys, just for your info.
the blitz AE111 turbo kit does nothing to the internals.
the only thing tht's changed is the metal head gasket...how thick? i'd presume 1.5mm
which brings the comp ratio down to 10:1. if someone could verify this, tht'll be great.

it runs stock pistons and conrods. boosts 11psi. from what ppl get, 254 WHP. Blitz claimed 300 engine hp.

so at least now we know, with a good tune, BT stock internals can take 11psi high comp, 300hp.

i guess whn ppl break their engines, its becoz of the poor tuning? incorrect torques on the bolts? detonation and so on.

Toyota engineers have been good in putting huge safety factor into their designs.

LittleRedSpirit
7th June 2009, 08:08 PM
The blacktop rods are skinnier, but I think more beefy around the bearings.

I reckon its worth a try.

Image borrowed from hr blog on na 4age tuning.

sun_moon
7th June 2009, 08:09 PM
link doesnt work !

fantapants
8th June 2009, 08:11 PM
yates used a stock blacktop bottom end running 6 psi from a bbt28. made 158rwkw for a season odd then spat a rod out the window it made in the block.

drive normal and keep it looked after, it will work fine.

Or get some spools in you :)