PDA

View Full Version : leighton fine quits CTS

Delazy
1st October 2008, 07:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The freshly crowned 2008 Australian Drift Champion, Leighton Fine has made a shock announcement that he will not defend his title with Team CTS in the 2009 Toyo Tires Drift Australia Series.

The championship-winning team is widely regarded as the series' benchmark for performance and professionalism, and Fine's departure creates a massive opportunity for other top drivers.

Leighton Fine:
“Winning the championship was a dream come true, and I'm grateful to Team CTS for giving me the opportunity to drive with them.

“We had a fantastic season together, but I'm excited about the prospect of moving in a different direction for next year."

Bill Bromley, Team CTS owner:
“Naturally, we would have loved to defend the championship with Leighton next year, but we respect his decision and wish him well for the future.

“Our 2009 program is well advanced, with a number of major upgrades to the car in the pipeline, and we will begin speaking to other drivers in the coming weeks."

Wayne Boatwright, Drift Australia Director:
“Leighton and Team CTS made a great combination and thoroughly deserving 2008 Toyo Tires Drift Australia Series champions.

“It has set the scene for a very interesting off-season, with an open seat at the championship-winning team and the reigning Australian Drift Champion on the market."[/b]

orange32
1st October 2008, 07:33 PM
Thats very interesting, that car is amazing.

I wondor why he quit, must have an ace up his sleeve for sure.

slydar
1st October 2008, 07:35 PM
speak up sa crew, whats going on?

samoo
1st October 2008, 07:38 PM
hope he brings back the hachi

Micknofx
1st October 2008, 07:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slydar @ Oct 1 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595048)</div>
speak up sa crew, whats going on?[/b]

can we have a little bit of wild speculation first?

I heard he's going back to an 86 except he's going to have a toyota century v12!!!!! :lol:

psi_72
1st October 2008, 07:55 PM
HACHI, HACHI, HACHI, HACHI :2thumbs:
i hope its the sprinter but i do very much doubt it.
speak up Leighton.

keto
1st October 2008, 07:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slydar @ Oct 1 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595048)</div>
speak up sa crew, whats going on?[/b]

lawson took his place

JDMJNKY
1st October 2008, 08:42 PM
id b surprised if his sprinter ever sees the road again let alone the track. I have heard a couple of rumours as to why he has quit but reading the rediculous speculations are more amusing.

driftke70
1st October 2008, 08:58 PM
violent diarrhea i heard.

Hachi Roku
1st October 2008, 09:16 PM
sheezes that was a shock surprise?!! I would of thought he'd atleast spend another year with CTS. I wonder what happened as orangechargdae86 (eddie??) suggested

jono86
1st October 2008, 09:40 PM
maybe he realised DA fails and is going back to the true spirit of dori...... mountains.
thats what id do.

Brendo
1st October 2008, 09:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jono86 @ Oct 1 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595113)</div>
maybe he realised DA fails and is going back to the true spirit of dori...... mountains.
thats what id do.[/b]

respect, i wish more people would realise this great truth

steroidchickens
1st October 2008, 11:20 PM
funny thing is, so many people bag DA but they are the first to know the gossip when things are changing :lol:

Driftspec
1st October 2008, 11:24 PM
Wow, thats pretty big. He must have a pair up his sleeve, and a decent poker face as well.

Tell you what, wouldn't you be stoked to get the seat thats opened up. That car was tidy all year, and it would be a great opportunity to step up and aim to go to the top.

I would love to see Leigh in a Sprinter again, but the odds of that probably aren't that high considering what is in the championship now. Nevertheless, interesting to see what happens...

jono86
1st October 2008, 11:24 PM
^^this is true^^

johl
2nd October 2008, 02:15 AM
i think if he does compete next year it would be in something that isnt running in our series and due to his histiry with toyota's i think it would be a good bet that it may be some form of jzx?

floody31
2nd October 2008, 02:22 AM
Yeah it would make heaps of sense to enter in a type of car thats not currently featuring in the results.

FLT LNR
2nd October 2008, 05:07 AM
maybe he got a real job?

Simon-AE86
2nd October 2008, 07:57 AM
Knowing leg i'd say he's after a new challenge...

ae86hachiroku
2nd October 2008, 10:39 AM
He's probably been offered a position to drive somewhere in the US... Big $$$ there.

kaibeecee
2nd October 2008, 11:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae86hachiroku @ Oct 2 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595264)</div>
He's probably been offered a position to drive somewhere in the US... Big $$$ there.[/b]

not as much as you think. but a little bit more than here.

Konakid
2nd October 2008, 12:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (keto @ Oct 1 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595067)</div>
lawson took his place[/b]

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jono86 @ Oct 1 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595113)</div>
thats what id do.[/b]

Noted

GAKI86
2nd October 2008, 03:53 PM
avoiding to promote the next need for speed game?

PuGZoR
2nd October 2008, 04:08 PM
Hmm, yeah, kinda intruiging. Maybe a new team's entering, and he might be going with them? <wild speculation> Maybe a 2nd TRD car, not necessarily an AE86? </wild speculation> There are plenty of big name aftermarket and general automotive brands that aren't represented in the sport, and with the recent coverage, you never know, may have had an offer too good to refuse? Pretty sure he's not calling it quits though, which is a good thing.

At least a decent driver won DA this year, lol.

slidin 86
2nd October 2008, 06:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PuGZoR @ Oct 2 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595385)</div>
Hmm, yeah, kinda intruiging. Maybe a new team's entering, and he might be going with them? <wild speculation> Maybe a 2nd TRD car, not necessarily an AE86? </wild speculation> There are plenty of big name aftermarket and general automotive brands that aren't represented in the sport, and with the recent coverage, you never know, may have had an offer too good to refuse? Pretty sure he's not calling it quits though, which is a good thing.

At least a decent driver won DA this year, lol.[/b]

I was thinking the same thing when i heard...Beau looking for a drift partner and being an old 86 lover & team mate might not be such a wild speculation. Would be nice to see him drifting a toyota again but my money would be on another nissan.

On another note does this mean "the show" goes to USA to dori dori in the stars?

crackett
2nd October 2008, 07:50 PM
Didn't the top 2 finishers of this years championship get to do a d1 round or something in Japan? Maybe a fulltime posistion over there?