PDA

View Full Version : T50 pops out of 3rd and 4th

yoshimitsu9
2nd October 2008, 06:57 PM
hey guys,

im having a strange problem. 3rd and 4th gear keep popping out while coasting down a hill. it happened on my old gear box which was fucked and its now happening on the new gear box i have put in, which has an unbeleivably mint condition gear set.

so this would lead me to beleive that its to do with the shifter. would that be correct? i replaced that green bush that sits in the bottom of the ball joint on the shifter and still no fix. so what else would need to be replaced?

any help would be great!

i want it fixed asap because im working in the mountains so theres lots of twisty roads :P

tony_kim
2nd October 2008, 07:11 PM
why was my post deleted ??

anyways my car had a similar thing.... but instead of 3 and 4... it pop out of second all the time.

im interested to hear about this....

seek
2nd October 2008, 07:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tony_kim @ Oct 2 2008, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595466)</div>
why was my post deleted ??

anyways my car had a similar thing.... but instead of 3 and 4... it pop out of second all the time.

im interested to hear about this....[/b]

this is what you posted:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tony_kim @ Oct 2 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595462)</div>
oh i had this happen with it pop out of second...

not cool..... have to use karate skillz to force hold the shifter in second and shizz.[/b]

becuz it waz reallll useful and shizz.....

dave2221
2nd October 2008, 08:01 PM
yeah mine is popping out of 2nd too when i am coasting.

yoshimitsu9
2nd October 2008, 08:11 PM
some one must know surely???

dave2221
2nd October 2008, 08:16 PM
1-believe it has something to do with the Syncro

Konakid
2nd October 2008, 08:18 PM
Ya box is fucked.

Sly*
2nd October 2008, 08:23 PM
problem with the detents

tony_kim
2nd October 2008, 08:25 PM
i heard this problem can occur if the hand rests on the shifter in the selected gear a lot, and vibrations etc can wear out the gearbox and make it pop out.... there may be no truth behind it, but thought i would offer some hear-say.

yoshimitsu9
2nd October 2008, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Oct 2 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595505)</div>
Ya box is fucked.[/b]

hmmm, i dont know how that could be possible, i pulled the case apart and inspected everything inside the box, the synchros had 0 sign of ware....

looks like it could be expensive to fix <_<

Jonny Rochester
2nd October 2008, 08:59 PM
It probably is not due to the detents, as these only stop you selecting 2 gears at once.

It maybe the balls and springs that hold the shaft in place, which are near the detents. If a spring is broken or misplaced. Unlikely.

It is probably not due to the syncros, as these only effect selecting a gear, not going out of a gear.

It is probably the worn dog teeth on the gears, matched with worn selector teeth. To fix, you will either have to get a few new gears and hubs etc, or get two gearboxs and use the best bits for one.

All of this assumes you are a mechanic and can pull a gearbox apart, which also requires either a press or lots of pullers, or both.

For most people here, just use a different gearbox. But don't thow the old one away.

ae71
2nd October 2008, 09:13 PM
time for a TRD gearset perhaps :P

yoshimitsu9
2nd October 2008, 09:15 PM
just figured that it was to do with the detents, which makes it a fucking pain in the ass to fix... since i cant afford to have my car off the road

whats the likelyhood that it could be to do with the shifter being faulty? since the shifter is the only component that was used on both gear boxes and they displayed the exact same symptoms

Sprinter86
2nd October 2008, 11:13 PM
i doubt very much its the shifter, one of mine did this, although i never opened the box, im told it usually is due to the teeth of the gear being 'rounded', worn. the gear cant handle the touque and spits it back out with a bang!!

i mean even a medium speed shift in a t50 will crunch cause the sincos cant keep up. all 5 of the t50's ive been through do this, and eventually start spitting it outa gear.

but im sure it could be a number of things :( might be worth a wreckers trip to find a manual ae71, it can get get expensive rebuilding gearboxes!!

dave2221
2nd October 2008, 11:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sprinter86 @ Oct 2 2008, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595628)</div>
i doubt very much its the shifter, one of mine did this, although i never opened the box, im told it usually is due to the teeth of the gear being 'rounded', worn. the gear cant handle the touque and spits it back out with a bang!!

i mean even a medium speed shift in a t50 will crunch cause the sincos cant keep up. all 5 of the t50's ive been through do this, and eventually start spitting it outa gear.

but im sure it could be a number of things :( might be worth a wreckers trip to find a manual ae71, it can get get expensive rebuilding gearboxes!![/b]

i am going to swap my box out in next 2 weeks,

if that one goes im looking for a w5x, that should fix it

Sprinter86
2nd October 2008, 11:23 PM
when in doubt, get supra parts!!! :D initially im going to run a t50 with the 20v turbs(bad idea i know), im taking bets on how many hours it lasts....haha, keeping the gearbox in gear is the least of my worries, i doubt the gears will exist for long, welcome to shatterville!!

T50's are really more trouble than theyre worth IMO.

Mr Fujiwara
3rd October 2008, 12:05 AM
car drops 2nd every time i kick clutch....same sort of thing? its never just fallen out of gear any other way, adn once the car is sliding in the gear, it'll hold it no matter how agressive the throttle, it just seems the shock of a kick stuffs it, i just ordered a new shifter bush, if that does nothing, in goes my spare.

sprintdaddy
3rd October 2008, 02:09 PM
If the bearings are worn in the box ie eg: needle rollers where the input shaft joins the mainshaft this will result in excess movement causes misalignment and then your box jumps out of gear, expensive to fix,( T-50 boxes anyway). I have a steel case celica box behind my 4agte using an adapter plate to mate it up to the motor, works well boxes are cheap and no changes to the floorpan and also i think ajps sells adapter plates for these. Good luck with fixing your problem.

regards Mick.

yoshimitsu9
3rd October 2008, 05:47 PM
fucking crap old gear boxes, i would do a w5x conversion but cant afford to have the car off the road.

Sly*
3rd October 2008, 05:53 PM
find another lowkay t50 i say

dave2221
3rd October 2008, 06:11 PM
spoke to a gearbox guy today

rekons gears are just worn

time for a new box

yoshimitsu9
3rd October 2008, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae86_boy @ Oct 3 2008, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595825)</div>
find another lowkay t50 i say[/b]

haha the problem is finding a low k box and not having to pay through the ass for it. might as well fix it my self

mech`s blue
3rd October 2008, 09:57 PM
it may also be the shifter bush.

you said you only replaced the shifter bush that goes in the selector fork but what about the cupped bush that holds the pivot point of the shifter in place. i've seen quite a few cars that have gears pop out due to gears not being selected properly

also it could just be the forks themselves could be worn which are cheaper to replace than a whole new box

fergo308
3rd October 2008, 10:42 PM
jumping out of gear in a T50 most commonly is worn synchro HUBS. the shift forks select the gear just fine,and the interlocks hold the selector shaft in place just fine,but the worn slot they sit in in the hub allows the hub to float,and the gear next to it to pop out of mesh when load is applied - a natural tendency with the gear's tooth design. -it can be caused by leaving your hand resting on the shifter...that's one cause.

replacement hubs cost about $600 for a full set new from toyota. plus fitting of course.
a second hand box will fix the problem - for now. you're replacing an old gearbox with another old,worn gearbox so it's not a long term fix. a proper solution is to rebuild the box fully,or upgrade to something else.

gear selection issues are often caused by the same part - hubs with flattened down teeth. you try and select a gear,and hit a brick wall -that's the teeth hitting each other and not engaging.

anyone in Sydney who doesn't want their T50,send me a pm,I'll happily take it off your hands... ^_^

Justin...