PDA

View Full Version : T18 rear swaybar mounts?

DearmanKE
9th July 2011, 05:43 PM
Ive got a t18, im geussing its series one as it has no rear swaybar.
it has an s series diff in it(obviously not the original) and i want to use the car for drift so it would be good to have a rear swaybar and it doesnt seam to have any mount points for the links on the body. on the diff its got spots for mounts so not fussed about that.

just wondering if anyone has made up weld on kits for swaybar mount points or any other info on puttin mounts in. on the body

cheers.

oh and i did do a search but couldnt find anything.

Cerby86
9th July 2011, 10:17 PM
i reckon most people just cut off the standard mounts and weld them on the new diff. To be complete honest though t series are so cheap that if your getting someone else to do the welding for you it would probably be cheaper to just find a series 2 and even if your doing the welding yourself it would still be less stuffing around lol

cooter
10th July 2011, 10:46 AM
I think he means the sway bar link brackets on the body. Check if it's got the holes there that the series 2 link brackets bolt onto. If not you may be able to just weld a reinforcing plate there, then drill and bolt through where the standard bracket holes are. Then just bolt on standard brackets. Gotta find series 2 brackets or may e even ke70 brackets if there the same. I haven't had mine side by side so I couldn't tell u.

DearmanKE
10th July 2011, 12:26 PM
yeah i mean mounts on the body.
and yeah i had a quick look at my 70 and it looks like it has almost like a box welded in the corner between the footpan and rear chassis rails, not sure if series 2 t18 would be the same but yeah looks like it might be a lil hard, how important is it to have it mounted in the exact same spot, or is there a little leeway.

Cerby86
10th July 2011, 06:16 PM
I think he means the sway bar link brackets on the body. Check if it's got the holes there that the series 2 link brackets bolt onto. If not you may be able to just weld a reinforcing plate there, then drill and bolt through where the standard bracket holes are. Then just bolt on standard brackets. Gotta find series 2 brackets or may e even ke70 brackets if there the same. I haven't had mine side by side so I couldn't tell u.

hahaha I'm not used to people asking about putting corolla stuff in t18s, so confusing hahah

Sam-Q
11th July 2011, 01:16 AM
ok this topic has definately not been covered before, not many T18 owners on here.

I might be able to sell you some ae86 brackets that you can weld on.

DearmanKE
11th July 2011, 03:37 PM
if u could take photos of the brackets that would be good and of where they go on the car, or just of the brackets if they are stil on the car so i can see if its the same as the t18 flooorpan/chassis rail wise then i would be keen sam.

cooter
11th July 2011, 03:41 PM
Depending on how urgent u r I can get some photos from mine in a week. I'll let ya know

DearmanKE
1st August 2011, 03:07 PM
well i got one fitted, i used ke70 brackets and drilled through my chassis rails, i then used ke70 front swaybar links as my rear links and used a VN rear swaybar, which is about 19mm thick(better than stock 14) it has an s series diff and you could probly use standard d bush covers but i diint have any for the s series so i used the vn ones and nuts and bolts on both sides with a plate behind the orginal diff swaybar mounts and used the original vn bushes aswell.

I havnt driven the car yet but im hopeing for an improvment in rear end stability

Sam-Q
2nd August 2011, 10:27 AM
good this thread was bumped, here is the picture I took:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/5/2/193034.jpg

and yes that is my handbrake cable end just cable tied there

DearmanKE
7th August 2011, 01:02 PM
yeah i used some of those brackets in the standard corolla place, the t18 has basically the same rear floorpan/rails so it worked. the vn swaybar fits only just it puts the links on an angle and the d bushes just fit on the brackets on the diff, but it makes it nice and tight.

jakel
7th March 2013, 02:16 PM
Old thread but answered my question about putting swaybar on the rear of my T18 :) I've got the brackets from an 86 so probably just weld them on.

Jacobxxx
7th March 2013, 04:47 PM
Or AJPS sell brackets to be welded on that suit.

jakel
8th March 2013, 01:46 AM
Not body mounts Pecks my T18 has nothing to bolt to the body where an ae86 one would bolt on.

Jacobxxx
8th March 2013, 09:09 AM
Ohh i get ya

jakel
8th March 2013, 12:21 PM
Yeah stupid T18! No i don't mean that, haha.