PDA

View Full Version : safe to turbo stock bigport?

sld sho
16th July 2011, 07:53 PM
hey guys just wondering if it is safe to turbo a stock bigport engine and run max 7-8psi boost ?
any body had any expereince with this?
cheers

trikzlane
16th July 2011, 07:58 PM
i wouldnt say safe, but it will work okay

Matt
16th July 2011, 08:10 PM
Has been done a few times and achieved around 120kw at the wheels. Like any build get your tune right and it'll be ok

AJPS
16th July 2011, 08:20 PM
dudes in NZ were running 15 psi on 'stock' big ports

i think up to 10psi with a good tune and good cooling system etc you will be fine

maxhag
16th July 2011, 09:14 PM
i wouldn't go past 7psi....... Proberley better off spending the money on making a strong NA motor...... rather than having a turbo motor that you need to baby........

What is the car to be used for?

sld sho
17th July 2011, 02:33 AM
just a weekend car i can take to the track a few times a year

maxhag
17th July 2011, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't do it. Go either a strong NA
or if you really want turbo, get a 4AGZE block.... They are pretty cheap if you are buying a basic block, you can use some of your current parts to complete it....

chrisjjanfd3s
17th July 2011, 11:46 AM
The simple answer is yes it is safe. One thing that you need to bare in mind is that 90% of the time it’s not at boost that kills the motor, thinks like oil pressure and temperature, the quality of the fuel you run, coolant temp and tune. These things all become more and more important as boost pressure is increased (exactly the same applies for tuned NA motors). If you take care of the motor and address all these issues the engine should last years especially if you only run 7psi