PDA

View Full Version : Head/Main Studs? Reuseable?

Deeken
25th July 2011, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, wondering whether the mains/head studs are reuseable? Engine was supposedly rebuilt 5,000km~ (got told 3,000km) ago, and the bearings are near new in the mains and big ends, so yeah. Wont be running any crazy compression.. about 10.5:1..

Also, thought I read somewhere the TRD headgaskets are reuseable..?? Just like to know so I can order more shit if they aren't :/

EDIT: For a 4AGE sorry >.< fuck im dumb LOL

70XIN
25th July 2011, 11:53 PM
If you are referring to studs, as in ARP stuff, then yes. If you actually mean standard head bolts then no, but standard main bolts are fine to reuse.

TRD headgaskets are apparently reuseable, but i'm yet to see someone who has (as they're pretty cheap to replace).

Deeken
25th July 2011, 11:58 PM
Hmm, so I should be buying new head bolts..? do I need to buy high performance such as ARP if its only going to be a mild engine..? Also, If I buy ARP head bolts, I'm goin to be able to reuse them if I ever need to pull it apart again?

Sam-Q
26th July 2011, 12:12 AM
If you are referring to studs, as in ARP stuff, then yes. If you actually mean standard head bolts then no, .

why not?

Cerby86
26th July 2011, 12:20 AM
I reused the standard head bolts and it seemed okay, but it did blow a couple of months later. When I did the gasket again I found that standard head bolts were $25 so I just replaced them and haven't had a problem since.
So basically at $25 why wouldn't you!

lolwat
26th July 2011, 12:21 AM
are they a stretch bolt, i know of falcons the bolts stretch (a fair bit) and if you re-use them they jsut snap when you go to re touque them, personaly i would replace them

70XIN
26th July 2011, 02:45 AM
why not?

PLR (here in brisbane - they're very big into 4A's) said they aren't supposedly TTY, but have had so many failures with reusing bolts that they highly recommend against it. I've also seen one snap in a friends' car (lightly oiled, torqued to spec with a *good* torque wrench).

Since you can buy non-genuine bolts on ebay for about $40, i think you'd feel stupid if you snapped one off or rounded a head :)

Deeken
26th July 2011, 04:29 PM
Hmmm replacing head bolts. LOL. thanks guys, any opinions on the trd head gasket? :/ cant seem to find them anywhere to get a price on em

KE70Man
26th July 2011, 04:45 PM
i wouldnt bother going a trd gasket. I had a .8 one a few months old, when i had to lift the head after i bent a valve, there was no way it was reusable. Ended up going a cometic metal one. Same thickness, local available and a bit cheaper.

lolwat
26th July 2011, 10:47 PM
TRD
go to toyota

JDMWheels
26th July 2011, 10:54 PM
I'll sort you out a TRD headGasket Man :) - Don't you worry about that!

lolwat
26th July 2011, 11:06 PM
I'll sort you out a TRD headGasket Man :) - Don't you worry about that!
this guy always getting toyota part easy ENVY! YOU!, my local toyota is shit

Deeken
27th July 2011, 06:25 PM
OH DAN, didn't even think! damn it lol, if you're gonna ask about that, mind seeing what .020" oversize 4age pistons are worth? :) forged. and rods to suit. thanks man

JDMWheels
31st July 2011, 07:32 PM
this guy always getting toyota part easy ENVY! YOU!, my local toyota is shit

Haha.. I'll hook you up too!

Deeken: will sort it on Monday :)

Deeken
1st August 2011, 10:41 AM
win win win, get a priceon the 0.8mm hg, possibly genuine brake master, clutch master and clutch slave, oh and head bolts