View Full Version : H.I.D???

Ade_Mc
27th July 2011, 02:12 PM
Hi,

i'm sick of not been able to see anything because my ae86 headlights suck balls.
i have replaced the globes a number of times with decent ones, but the improvements are average.
been looking around and H.I.D don't cost as much as they used to.
i have a set off JDM headlights that i am yet to install, i read that these are better then ADM.

so the question is, are H.I.D worth while, and is there anything i need to do in order to run them?

cheers
Ade Mc

dtour
27th July 2011, 07:03 PM
I run hids and they are epic, twice as good as normal globes.
The only issue I have is the high bean indicator dosn't work, apparently the new hids draw enough current to trigger that tho.
Even if that issue arises there is a thread on the net somewhere on how to get around this

Ade_Mc
28th July 2011, 05:30 PM
I run hids and they are epic, twice as good as normal globes.
The only issue I have is the high bean indicator dosn't work, apparently the new hids draw enough current to trigger that tho.
Even if that issue arises there is a thread on the net somewhere on how to get around this

so basically it wouldn't register on the dash that you had high beams on?

Ade_Mc
28th July 2011, 05:38 PM
sweet HiD's it is...what do people think of the ebay HID's? seen average looking set for $40 posted!
will these blow up or generally ok?

dtour
28th July 2011, 05:50 PM
so basically it wouldn't register on the dash that you had high beams on?
Yes

macca1590
28th July 2011, 09:08 PM
sweet HiD's it is...what do people think of the ebay HID's? seen average looking set for $40 posted!
will these blow up or generally ok?

for that price just buy another set haha

if you want something quality look for philips, i have heard they are the go

Sam-Q
2nd August 2011, 01:15 AM
you get about tripple the light output from HID lights, I love using them. However if you have pure white lights at 6500K then people get upset very quickly due to the high glare. This is why I suggest 4200K it's whitter than hallogen but still has the serious output of HIDs, keep the cops away too

Sam-Q
2nd August 2011, 01:21 AM
found an old pic:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148429.jpg

HID 35W 6500K on the left and Philips 55W "+50" on the right

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148428.jpg

same level adjustment, just a straight swap, hows that for balls.

AJPS
2nd August 2011, 03:00 AM
what kit did you use sam?

Sam-Q
2nd August 2011, 09:43 AM
it was a long time ago so no idea, it was off ebay and had really bad "enrish" writing on the box. I am only using the HID low beam.

It's later on that I changed to the 4200K instead of the pictured 6500K

FoldKing86
5th August 2011, 09:09 PM
There was a time when i used Philips +50 and i wasn't so happy with the difference, had bad connectors so i thought this wiring looks old so i changed the wires back too the relay (i think it was a relay) and i was amazed with the difference just in changing the wires.

These cars are over 25yrs old now yet folks seem too consider the wiring last??

Nothing wrong with hachi lights and +50 globes.

Sam-Q
5th August 2011, 10:03 PM
There was a time when i used Philips +50 and i wasn't so happy with the difference, had bad connectors so i thought this wiring looks old so i changed the wires back too the relay (i think it was a relay) and i was amazed with the difference just in changing the wires.

These cars are over 25yrs old now yet folks seem too consider the wiring last??

Nothing wrong with hachi lights and +50 globes.

have you used HIDs before???

I guess I should mention that sagged volatges have no effect on them as well because of the way they work.

FoldKing86
6th August 2011, 01:43 AM
Yeah its all good Sam, just people seem to think the only way to get brighter lights is HID's.

Nothing wrong with stock setup if folks just sit back and have a think and make a few minor adjustments.

I am more then happy with my setup.

Sam-Q
6th August 2011, 01:49 AM
while that's fair enough and you make good points it does beg the question of what your time and materials is worth in comparison to the HID upgrade which is fine with crappy wiring

Tim.duncan
16th August 2011, 08:41 AM
How does high beam work with hid?
One of mine won't go high, was told it was the ballets, so I replaced it with a new one but still no good

evil86
18th August 2011, 11:43 PM
hey fella, i got some experince in this field installing HID in my own car both levin and trueno. i got my HID kits off a mate who works at a auto supplier for $100. testing the HID before installation. i've found that when switching from low beam to high beam and vice versa, is that the there is a mechanism that moves the HID backwards and forth changing the direction for the beam. 4300k is a nice white, 6000k is the general hid look and anything from 6000-12,000k is insane.

pros : better vision, better aesthestics, good for spirited drives in the night
cons : beams not really concentrated as 86 dont ahve projectors. in saying that most 86/70 are stiff and beam tends to flick alot on bumpy roads and cops might pick on you abit more.

Sam-Q
18th August 2011, 11:50 PM
hold on a mechinism? like self leveling headlights? you won't find that in any car made in the 80s

Jip86
19th August 2011, 12:01 AM
if your talking about swapping the original bulbs for HIDs they work in one of three ways,

HID low beam and bi-xenon high beam in the one bulb

HID with a small electromagnet to tilt the filament to change its focal point to get high/low (Evil86's type)

the third is only for projectors using an electromagnet to flick a little shield up and down for the high/low so the bulb doesn't change in intensity.