PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Gear Puller

Dish
3rd August 2011, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

Need help tracking down one of these or something like this(See picture) that can be used to pull off the timing belt gear on the crank. Already tried two screwdrivers, tyre leavers, wd40 etc... Couldn't get it to move. Don't have any oxy at home to heat it up.

Hoping someone knows where to find something like this. (I think this is the toyota SST)

Picture.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/6/5/193514.jpg

maxhag
5th August 2011, 07:22 AM
I had this trouble recently. I just went to "Supercrap' and bought a cheap 2 arm puller (simular to pic). I then ground down the arms (with a bench grinder) so they would fit nicely in that extruding lip of the oil pump. Then, (with WD40), the puller did it's job. Got off the rusty pulley.......

whatcamber
5th August 2011, 08:08 AM
Soak it in wd40 and leave it for an hour. Get two pry bars and work it off. This worked on my crank gear and it was super seized. Engine was still in car. Persistence!

Dish
5th August 2011, 12:01 PM
I tried for over 2 hours. I worked the balancer off with two tyre leavers pretty easily, but the gear just wouldn't budge, no matter what I tried. Going to have a search of bursons and everywhere else today, trying to get this shit sorted out.

Dish
25th September 2011, 10:42 AM
Ended up getting it with a universal 3 arm puller and then got it all the way off with a 2 arm puller I bought. The 2 arm puller I bought also fits perfectly onto steering arms to pop tie rod ball joints too.

timbo
25th September 2011, 11:28 AM
I ended up drilling out two holes in mine and taping them so I could use a harmonic balancer puller on it. I got it off finally, it was still a struggle with the puller, lucky the pulley is nice and heavy and wasn't affected by the holes.

edit: I might add this was done with a Hitachi cordless drill. The pulley is a very hard metal and it took a while to drill out and as you can see the holes aren't exactly symmetrical... However free spinning the pulley, I didn't notice any major balancer issues. Also I greased the inside of the pulley so it won't rust up again if I need to get it off again.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/1/1/3/179476.jpg

Dish
26th September 2011, 07:15 PM
I thought about doing something like that. Bit too freaked out about it not being 100% balanced. I greased the inner of mine too, hopefully next time I have to get it off it wont be a pain the arse.