PDA

View Full Version : Ae86 diff

odessy
5th August 2011, 01:48 PM
Did a search on diff options and get mixed responses. Alot of talk on S series not being strong enough but no reference to the power these vehicles were putting out. On a stock biport 16v(zorst, extractors, pod filter) and 14x7 or 8's will it hold. Am I just at risk of breaking the S series rear end or risk ruining gear boxes or other parts?

Would eventually go t series lsd when the cash permits, but until then an S series welded do the job or would I just be better getting use to sliding the car with an open S series?

Edit: Will be used for daily driving(Not a whole lot though) and the occasional track day.

Bustin_86
5th August 2011, 01:59 PM
My car has the exact setup you described exceot a smallport 4age and its fine. I have been doing skids and dailying it for over a year without a problem.

Hachi_Tom
5th August 2011, 02:22 PM
would I just be better getting use to sliding the car with an open S series?

if you plan on doing it in the dry, then open centre will not work at all. it could but seriously. dont even try, youll probably kill 30 babies.

just weld it, s series are weak as shit. its luck of the draw with standard axles, could break first track day, could last 30 track days.
just get a t series or stronger.

fyi, my s series broke an axle the second track day i went to, standard bigport 16v. running 195's

odessy
5th August 2011, 03:21 PM
Is this going to cause any other driveline problems other than break axles or the diff itself e.g. tailshaft/gearbox? Probably just weld it and when/if it breaks replace it with a T series, any reason this is not a good approach?

DR86FT
5th August 2011, 04:35 PM
Is this going to cause any other driveline problems other than break axles or the diff itself e.g. tailshaft/gearbox? Probably just weld it and when/if it breaks replace it with a T series, any reason this is not a good approach?

That what I did and just chucked the t series in when I smashed the centre of the s series.. Shouldn't do anything to your gearbox or tailshaft . Unless you change gears rough or you have a very harsh clutch.

Hen may possibly be a nut
8th August 2011, 12:42 AM
S series axle splines are the same as (early) T series. So T series axles are no stronger than S series (they always break at the end of the splines). Sure the crown/pinion is a bit larger and stronger on a T, but breaking them is a rarity compared to breaking axles in my experience.

If I were you I'd weld my S series and use tyres no larger than 205/50 R15. Your gearbox and clutch may break due to excessive drift, but your welded diff will not cause it.