PDA

View Full Version : Leafsprings.

corknose
16th August 2011, 02:00 PM
(probs wrong forum but im a memeber here so here it goes)

Hey guys I have a 1979 hilux long bed and I have been trying to get the leafs out to lower it.

I have take both nuts off the bolts at either end un done the u bolts and the shock. Then put the nut back on and tried to hi the bolt through the leaf. Didnt budge.

Anytips on getting them out?

Cheers cal

Tim.duncan
16th August 2011, 02:15 PM
Bigger knockometer?

macca1590
16th August 2011, 08:02 PM
big hammer? if that dont work get a bigger one? haha
toyota no.1 special service tool

lolwat
16th August 2011, 10:34 PM
shackle bushes are probs 20-30 years old, get some super pro ones, and burn the old ones out

squish_m8
17th August 2011, 02:02 AM
large mallet is the way to go. WD40 might help also

corknose
17th August 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah my try the air hammer at work this arvo.

*E7*
17th August 2011, 08:03 PM
leave the main leaf in, separate the pack and remove excess leafs and or invert other leafs. replace bolts and nuts, done???

blinded
17th August 2011, 08:35 PM
When in doubt use a hammer.

The bigger the doubt, the bigger the hammer. :D

greeneyes
9th September 2011, 06:50 PM
Which bolt are you trying to get out?? The eyebolts in the spring hangars or the leafpack bolt though the middle of the leafpack. A photo would help.

We changed all of them recently, fitting new bushes in the leafpacks and bought new U-bolts as the ute lost a wheel years ago and the bottoms of the U-bolts were ground away. The owner didn't realise the whole spring was mis-aligned, but it took us a jack and some levers to get it all back in and happy.

We took the leafpack center-bolt out with a hammer, but it was both worn from the leafs so we replaced it with an allen-headed harder steel one.