PDA

View Full Version : ae71 20v S/T Radiator Alternative

Gabe
16th August 2011, 08:27 PM
hey guys

Bout to put a silvertop 20v into my ae71 and looking for an upgrade for my radiator. I have been researching and Im most likely going for a X2 excel radiator but I would prefer to get a twin core or a bigger one. Any ideas??

Cheers

e7+20v=:)
16th August 2011, 08:32 PM
ebay ae86 alloy rad cheap dual core i got one worked well

Sam-Q
16th August 2011, 09:24 PM
any particular reason you want a dual core, an excel model is pretty decent.

meadan
16th August 2011, 09:37 PM
I ran an excel one on my 20v, worked awesome. I only changed to an ebay spec alloy one because I want to modify the mounts

Gabe
16th August 2011, 09:59 PM
e7: Cheers yeah i have been looking at them.

Sam: No real reason just thought it might be a good option but if the excel is a decent set up ill give it a crack. Ps. i shall be purchasing your water kit and coil packs kit either this week or next

Meadan: Cheers for the reply.. even getting thrashed?

meadan
16th August 2011, 10:27 PM
Yep never overheated.
That was with, bumper to bumper traffic in summer, skidpan days in summer, daily driving etc...

timbo
16th August 2011, 11:00 PM
Just use the stock one, is an "upgrade" really needed?

Jacobxxx
17th August 2011, 10:04 AM
Just use the stock one, is an "upgrade" really needed?
Yeah...some thermo fans, other than that you don't really need one.

timbo
17th August 2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah...some thermo fans, other than that you don't really need one.

Exactly what I was thinking, but instead of some you'd only need one that covers the majority of the radiator. The stock radiators are pretty beefy, a lot thicker than stock AE86 items at least.

Gabe
18th August 2011, 10:10 AM
Really? any ideas of fans that would be ideal for use? and how hard would it be to wire that bad boy up?

ke_70_blue
18th August 2011, 10:55 AM
im currently running the stosck 71 rad. with a unknown thermo witch i think is a 10"
it runs nice and i havnt had an problems yet.
wiring is easy to create, it just depends if you want to connect it to a manual switch or to the ecu.. just mak sure you have the air sucking through towards the motor :)

b1gb3n
18th August 2011, 12:48 PM
Really? any ideas of fans that would be ideal for use? and how hard would it be to wire that bad boy up?

i have hyundai radiator on my sprinter. the fan on it looks exactly the same as a holden barina/swift early 90s fan.

Moebius
19th August 2011, 04:40 PM
I ran an excel one on my 20v, worked awesome. I only changed to an ebay spec alloy one because I want to modify the mounts

Any pics or an explanation of how you mounted the ebay spec radiator? I've just got one and working out how to mount it at the moment.

meadan
19th August 2011, 06:04 PM
Mine is mounted different to stock. I have angled it forward slightly for a few reasons.

But the ebay ones should pretty much bolt in, never had a problem with them before.

Moebius
23rd August 2011, 03:12 PM
Well the ae71 was mounted with like a U section covered in rubber holding it up underneath, and 2 bolts going through it into the radiator support at the top. The new radiator I got off ebay has the 2 metal sprig things on the bottom that mount into round rubber grommets and the top has sections for 2 brackets to go over the top of it to hold it down. This was supposed to be an ae86 radiator, which I was assuming would be the same as an ae71.

So did I get sent the wrong radiator or are the ae71 and ae86 radiators different?

Futo_gt86
28th August 2011, 01:24 PM
They are different arn't they.
From what I've seen all AE86 are like how you have described, has those U shaped hooks at
the top that bolt to the top on the rad support.
I'm even more confused though, the AE71/TE72 Alloy radiator that I bought of Ebay has mounts
on the sides not the top. Mine sounds completely different to what you described for your AE71.

lolwat
28th August 2011, 01:38 PM
im using a half fucked ae71 rad in my ke70 with 16v, and my thermo switch was rooted (for about 3 weeks) never over heated, but i dont do alot of traffic driving, but there were times that it would sit idling for 20 mins or so

Moebius
30th August 2011, 03:16 PM
They are different arn't they.
From what I've seen all AE86 are like how you have described, has those U shaped hooks at
the top that bolt to the top on the rad support.
I'm even more confused though, the AE71/TE72 Alloy radiator that I bought of Ebay has mounts
on the sides not the top. Mine sounds completely different to what you described for your AE71.

Yeah you're right, the ae71 mounts are on the side not the top.