PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/gearbox questions

Bozu
22nd August 2011, 04:35 PM
Car - AE86 Levin

motor - 4AGZE (Turbocharged)

use - Daily, occasionally drifting

Hi guys,

I'll first explain my set-up; I've got a AE101 4AGZE coupled to a W57 gearbox with a 4A-W5* bellhousing from Malaysia. I'm using the standard master clutch cylinder from the AE86 and according to the previous owner of the car the clutch slave, clutch fork and release bearing are from the W57. Furthermore I'm running a 4age heavy duty custom clutch set-up and 212mm flywheel.

Now I've got a couple of clutch questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to and I was hoping someone on here could help me out with. Here goes:

- I've got a grinding noise coming from the gearbox which goes away after pressing the clutch pedal, I've got no problems with the gears or anything so this sounds to me like a worn release bearing, right?

- It appears that I've got more play in my clutch pedal then I suppose to have, according to the manual I should have about 10mm but it seems more like 20-25mm. I'm not sure where the play comes from as I've recently replaced the clutch master with a new one and adjusted the pushrod so that it was all the way out..Could it be the clutch pedal mechanism itself?

- Also the clutch pedal doesn't aways feel the same in regards to the (dis)engaging point...
As I've already replaced the clutch master I'm thinking it might be the slave cylinder? Or could it be because of the release bearing? I haven't noticed a leak and it appears I'm not loosing clutch fluid. Also I'm not loosing pressure when I've pressed the clutch pedal so I'm assuming the slave isn't leaking internally..Could there be something else I'm missing that can cause the change in feel?

-Also I'm looking for a new clutch set-up and as I'm using the car as a daily but also an occasional drifter I'm not quite sure which set-up to go with? I've called exedy and as I'm pushing 150kw at the wheels they advised me to go with a ceramic racing clutch set-up as their heavy duty clutches only go up to ±190kw at the flywheel, which according to them means ±126kw at the wheels. Does someone have experience with their clutches or can recommend a different/better set-up?

-And last, I'm looking for someone in Perth that can help me fit the clutch (for a compensation offcourse)
or for a shop that can deliver and fit the clutch.

If you made it reading up to here then I hope you can help me out a bit!

Thanks!