PDA

View Full Version : LOW BEAM PROBLEMS

BARWICK
10th September 2011, 03:40 AM
Hi Guys,
Im having trouble getting my low beams to work on my ADM AE86, Hi beams and flash work fine.
Also the high beam light on my dash is on continously, even when low beams are selected.

I can get the low beams to work by running a lead between the rear of the globe and a earth point.

Where is the standard earth point for the headlights?
What else do you suggest to reasolve this?

Kind regards

Anthony
10th September 2011, 10:39 AM
headlight switch prob needs a rebuild. will either be a dirty contact or (more likely) a wire has fallen off a solder pad in the switch. pretty easy fix once you get the combo switch off the column.

FoldKing86
10th September 2011, 10:53 AM
if you can get the low beam to work by installing your own earth strap to the globe then id be looking into the relay/fuse area behind the battery in that black box. Might be time to rip all the condute and old tape off and replace the wires.

Also attack the area Anthony said, its a well know and common fault area. Speaking of which i need to attack mine again.

Oly AE86
11th September 2011, 07:45 PM
I had the same problem a month ago, if you wiggle the wires under the column and they come on/off its one of the solder pads like Anthony said. Once the combo switch is removed its an easy fix, just need to remove steering wheel, boss etc first.

hachirusto
11th September 2011, 08:49 PM
+ one for headlight switch, pull it a part and re solder all the joints inside, that should fix it.

BARWICK
12th September 2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys much appreshiated will try messing with the switch tommorow.

BARWICK
14th September 2011, 01:47 AM
Problem solved, thanks guys. It was just as you said "wire has fallen off a solder pad in the hi / low switch".
I also had one light that was really dim which was resolved by changing the fuse.