View Full Version : powersteering

drewx
26th May 2009, 01:34 PM
hey guys might be a stupid question, but i have got
a new engine to put into my 86 and i wanna take the gay powersteering out,
do i have to buy a manual rack or can i use the one which is in it?

thanks
drew

sundee
26th May 2009, 02:33 PM
yeah u need a manual rack. PS = GHAY

check out steering combos in the tech thread

drewx
26th May 2009, 02:37 PM
yes ps is veryy gay, i just bought the car and it already had it in

okay ill have a look thanks

Golberg
26th May 2009, 04:44 PM
You need:
AE86 non power steering rack
AE86 non power steering engine crossmember
AE86 non power steering steering column

drewx
26th May 2009, 05:14 PM
thanks

marvis
26th May 2009, 06:54 PM
Gay is not a synonym for stupid.

shawn_26
26th May 2009, 07:00 PM
I have p/s. I dont mind it. But then I havent driven an AE86 without it :S

Golberg
26th May 2009, 08:03 PM
I have p/s. I dont mind it. But then I havent driven an AE86 without it :S

I think you'll find most people on this website who comment on power steering in an AE86 on this website have never actually driven one with power steering.

As such their opinion isn't really worth anything. But that's just what I've found, as soon as a topic about power steering is brought up its immediately filled with "power steering is gay" & "why would you ever want power steering in an AE86".

shawn_26
26th May 2009, 08:12 PM
I think you'll find most people on this website who comment on power steering in an AE86 on this website have never actually driven one with power steering.

As such their opinion isn't really worth anything. But that's just what I've found, as soon as a topic about power steering is brought up its immediately filled with "power steering is gay" & "why would you ever want power steering in an AE86".

Yeah..I actually really like my steering..Its nice and light but still very responsive..I know its not going to be as touchy and have as much feedback as a manual rack..But its still definately the best steering car ive driven..

Golberg
26th May 2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah..I actually really like my steering..Its nice and light but still very responsive..I know its not going to be as touchy and have as much feedback as a manual rack..But its still definately the best steering car ive driven..

Exactly.

I find that there steering response is very comparable to a manual rack (I've got AE86 power steering with a rebuilt rack in my 71). The only real time where I actually notice the difference is parking.

People for some reason expect that its going to be like a big heavy car's power steering. But its not at all, the power steering doesn't actually do much apart from making the car easier to turn on the spot.

That said I'd still go for a manual rack in any track car or drifter, just for that little extra steering response.

Rice86
27th May 2009, 12:44 AM
yeah

p/s is good for daily, learning how to drift

non p/s more of a instant response to everything you hand does

what i found anyways when driven ae86s with and without p/s

lach
27th May 2009, 03:05 AM
my 86 has a power steering rack with no pump hooked up. Was like this when i bought it a few months back. It's very firm steering at low speed but once moving it's very resposive and easy to slide with...... not much turn of the wheel lock to lock.

sundee
27th May 2009, 11:29 AM
Gay is not a synonym for stupid.
No but GHEY is :P

Golburg what u said is right.. most pple who comment on PS most times have never driven an 86 with PS...
but the way i see it is PS is PS.. it gives no solid feedback through the wheel, i find that 20% of the time your guessing what the heck its doing.

all my past cars have never had PS.. and i love it.. i get in a car that has PS and its like learning to drive again.. its more like what the heck is this thing up to.

U cant beat a mechanical linkage for feel and feedback

ae86hachiroku
27th May 2009, 05:02 PM
Powersteering in an AE86 is awesome for a street and casual track car. Not sure why you'd choose not to have it. If you can't feel your car turning/feedback even with P/S then your doing it wrong or simply haven't even used the P/S before.

kaibeecee
27th May 2009, 05:17 PM
OP: if you want a manual setup in exchange for your PS one, PM me.

got one in brisbane.

sundee
27th May 2009, 11:53 PM
Powersteering in an AE86 is awesome for a street and casual track car. Not sure why you'd choose not to have it. If you can't feel your car turning/feedback even with P/S then your doing it wrong or simply haven't even used the P/S before.

like i said i have never driven an 86 with PS.. but other cars i have and to me their is a massive difference in feel and feedback between PS and non PS

Vance
28th May 2009, 12:09 AM
isnt the power steering in an ae86 just power-assisted steering; meaning it only kicks in when under a certain speed and when over that speed its completely manual steering?

i remember reading about it on the old forums.

Golberg
28th May 2009, 12:25 AM
isnt the power steering in an ae86 just power-assisted steering; meaning it only kicks in when under a certain speed and when over that speed its completely manual steering?

i remember reading about it on the old forums.

Theoretically its operational all the time, but it only has an effect at low speeds. Otherwise the difference is negligible in comparison to manual steering.

To me its a nice luxury to have, doesn't deminish feel on a street application. It would probably make driving a car with a locker a bit easier too. I can quite happily drive my AE71 (power steering) or my AE86 (manual steering) and its pretty much the same deal, just the 71 is easier to park (granted the 86 isn't exactly hard though).

ae86hachiroku
28th May 2009, 01:31 PM
It also depends on how aggressive your allignment settings are. With mass castor and stuff with powersteering it'd be an easier life doing your parking etc and still have the performance effect.

gumbie
4th June 2009, 07:06 AM
Did any of the ADM Sprinters come with power steering..?

Golberg
4th June 2009, 10:37 AM
According to the Toyota EPC yes, but I've never actually seen one.

gumbie
4th June 2009, 06:53 PM
My ADM 86 has power steering.. hmmm, Also has a jap motor :o!

Golberg
4th June 2009, 06:57 PM
Its a bit of a pain to put in so its possible that it came from factory that way. It could quite well have been an unpopular option on AE86s at the time.

patience
4th June 2009, 07:39 PM
I have power steering
Have had it on both of my hachis

just went from driving my friends POS ford laser for a few days with absolute shitty steering back into my car today and it makes you appreciate how smooth and easy it is.
Well worth it in my opinion

Jip86
5th June 2009, 11:05 PM
i've got power steering in my car and i love it. It feels so much better than any other cars p/s, new or old. Most cars p/s is just so vauge and lifeless, in an 86 you get very good 'feel'.

gumbie
6th June 2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, i feel like when you drive along a highway it feels like your car is floating lol.. So touchy and light.

aaron
8th June 2009, 12:29 PM
changing from manual steer to ps. what parts would be needed?

Golberg
8th June 2009, 03:20 PM
AE86 Power steering column
Power steering knuckle joint between rack and column
AE86 power steering lines
Power steering reservoir
JDM AE86 power steering pump & bracket with integrated tensioner pulley
JDM AE86 4AGE crank pulley
AE86 power steering arms (not 100% necessary but it'd be pretty dumb not to run them).
JDM AE86 power vacuum lines (go from pump to throttle body)
Power steering rack
Power steering engine crossmember

That should be all, that's also assuming you've got a 4AGE in the car.