PDA

View Full Version : T18 diff LSD problems, doesnt fit?!

drift kid
17th September 2011, 04:41 PM
Car - Toyota Ae86 sprinter

motor - 4ac

use - daily/track

problem - got my diff all apart to swap the centre over to my TRD LSD that i bought a little while ago beleiving that it was the correct centre, obviously not though! lol, so i am aware that its the wrong one and all, i just want to know if there is a different housing that may make this LSD still fit but bolt to the T18diff (i doubt it but i might aswell ask :) ) so the other option i guess is to get another LSD that will fit, can anybody possibly identify what i need and which LSD i have? Thank you very much :)

occurs/started when - n/a

personal situation (if applicable)- n/a

pictures:
The LSD is on the left, stock open diff centre opposite.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8657/20110916233817.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6181/20110916233826.jpg

slide86
17th September 2011, 07:22 PM
So if that open centre is a T series........I'd say you have an F series LSD there.....

I've not seen a T series centre like that, its definitely a T18 diff??

ae86
17th September 2011, 08:54 PM
pretty sure i seen same open type centres from RA's, as for aftermarket lsd i dont think there was a TRD for E series was there ? if not then id go with E series option too.

drift kid
24th September 2011, 02:14 PM
well i was told by a few people that it is a T18 diff so i was going off of that, are there any easily noticeable signs that show its a T18? and how can i find out what the LSD is for then?

ae86
24th September 2011, 04:36 PM
go to a wreckers with G and E series diffs pull an axle out see if it fits tight, definitely neither zenki or kouki T series but by the looks the design in the photo its def a TRD lsd

drift kid
27th September 2011, 10:07 AM
gahh! this is so annoying, cause the axles out of my diff fitted in perfectly :( just the LSD housing is massive..

slydar
27th September 2011, 10:12 AM
your diff is S series. that center you pulled out is a 4 pinion by the look. which all ADM S series run. your center is probably t series.

go look at your diff. 8 bolts to hold the carrier on? should be 10.

also in support of this theory is your statement that your stock axles fit your LSD center. s series axles are the same spline as t.

drift kid
27th September 2011, 12:17 PM
hmm, your making sense, but ive been told by a few people that the diff is T18 :S i thought that if the rear of the diff (backside of the car) unbolts it is a S series and if the front unbolts which brings the whole housing out etc.. then it is a T series, just what ive been told so please dont hate on me :)

Jacobxxx
27th September 2011, 12:46 PM
S series doesnt have a removable backing plate

Andy San
27th September 2011, 12:56 PM
your diff is S series. that center you pulled out is a 4 pinion by the look. which all ADM S series run. your center is probably t series.

go look at your diff. 8 bolts to hold the carrier on? should be 10.

also in support of this theory is your statement that your stock axles fit your LSD center. s series axles are the same spline as t.

Do as this man says... that looks like an S series centre to me.

A few people can also have no idea of the difference between an S and a T series, they look pretty similar

drift kid
27th September 2011, 01:10 PM
okay, im guna take your opinions :) id love to go have a look and count the bolts but i cant due to my injuries atm sorry :/
so if that is the problem then i guess i need a T18 diff, are they expensive/hard to find?

Jacobxxx
27th September 2011, 01:11 PM
Not overly hard, they are becoming fairly expensive at the moment because so many people want them. Throw up a WTB thread.

drift kid
27th September 2011, 01:25 PM
sure thing, ill do that once ive confirmed that ive got an S, not a T series, thanx for your help :)

lolwat
27th September 2011, 09:46 PM
contact TRD86, has one which i was going to get, thought locked borgy is more ghetto, and T series wont hold turbs POWERZ

drift kid
28th September 2011, 12:24 PM
yeh this is true man, but ive got the LSD already :/

Mickey H
28th September 2011, 05:27 PM
contact TRD86, has one which i was going to get, thought locked borgy is more ghetto, and T series wont hold turbs POWERZ

Is it possible to weld BW diffs? I was having a look in the workshop manual, it looks like it would be a right pain in the arse to do.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9917866/diff.jpg

Hen may possibly be a nut
3rd October 2011, 03:02 AM
Skylar is right. Your current diff is an S series. Your new centre is a Zenki (Early, smaller axle) T series.

but ive been told by a few people that the diff is T18
Ignore what most "people" say about cars. 98% of it is bullshit.

i thought that if the rear of the diff (backside of the car) unbolts it is a S series and if the front unbolts which brings the whole housing out etc.. then it is a T series
Nope, both S and T series unbolt from the front and you can pull the whole centre out.

Hen

slydar
4th October 2011, 08:39 PM
im slydar. not skylar.

shift_rook
4th October 2011, 08:44 PM
t series have 2 big inspection holes, s series have smaller ones, pretty sure there's 4. you've been jibbed

shift_rook
4th October 2011, 08:46 PM
didn't see there was a second page. i fail :)