PDA

View Full Version : I finally got an '86!

GrumpyRacing
22nd September 2011, 10:54 PM
Well after being on this forum for a while and having a long obsession with the ae86, i finally managed to buy myself one!

So i got this one off here in sa. Has the 4age conversion done using an ae82 loom.
Its a pretty solid car but the body is definatly in need of some love has dints and bad touch ups on it. Dint on one rear arch. And a small amount of rust in the b pillar lower area.

Basically i am happy with the car but i am going to have to clean up the body a fair bit. Im also going to do a clean up of the wiring set up cos its pretty messy. Also need some trims for the rear that are missing

Anyway specs are below and some photos

1985 ADM AE86

Engine
JDM 4age running an AE82 loom and JDM ecu
JDM gearbox extreme clutch
MSD ignition blaster 2
New Radiator
Jasma extractors and 2 ΒΌ exhaust into 2 mufflers
running a JDM fuel tank

Suspension

Front
Cusco Camber tops
AJPS coilovers with Excel G inserts 8kg springs
AJPS 40mm RCA's
XT130 LCA's
Powersteering arms
new rack ends plus lock spacer

Rear
Excel G shock absorbers
6kg springs good height
17mmish after market rear swaybar
Noltec panhard rod
Superpro trailing arm bushes
standard S-series diff

Interior
luisi steerer
dash mat

Wheels
14x7 longchamps fronts
14x8 longchamps rears

86coupe
23rd September 2011, 11:57 AM
Nice one. It looks pretty good and most of the hard work has already been done.

k.aaron
23rd September 2011, 12:16 PM
Nice one!

Robo86
23rd September 2011, 01:07 PM
cool man, nice one

GrumpyRacing
24th September 2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah all the suspension work, plus the engine conversion is done so it ment i didn't have to do it. Lol.
Its pretty much the setup i would go with anyway.
Just means the money i would spend there can go into the body and interior. Already got some nice recliner race seats to go into it.

GrumpyRacing
8th October 2011, 09:51 AM
Well my nice new '86 is about to get some big love!
It has some issues at the moment and they are
A smokey engine
Gearbox that won't select 3rd on down shift unless you go 4th over to second then back up to 3rd
Very very noisey diff that sounds like a supercharger wine lol.
Warped rotors and warn brake pads
And a simple one that the steering wheel is to big!

Solution!!!!!
Nice fresh rebuild of a bigport 4age
Grab spare t50 and put it into car
Take fresh built 4age and install it to the car
Install spare s series diff into car
Install nice new shiney rotors and new high temp pads to car.
Install fully sick drifting deep dish steering wheel lol.
And then we are done!
I believe i am gonna be busy this weekend!

86coupe
8th October 2011, 10:00 AM
Busy weekend, but will be like a new car afterwards though. Go go go!

GrumpyRacing
8th October 2011, 01:13 PM
Its interesting trying to build the engine and also pull one out at the same time! Lol

Head is assembled ready to bolt to block about to do pistons and rings plus crack and bearings too.

Engine has only the gearbox bolts holding it in an is ready to come out after the lunch break to see my girlfriend and thank her for letting me be in the car hole all weekend. Lol.

Any got some nice brake parts here!
Look at the brand of the rotors!!! Oooooo pretty. Lol

GrumpyRacing
8th October 2011, 08:17 PM
Ok another update while i take a little rest from bending over an engine.

Then bottom end is almost complete. Just missing water pump and thats about it. Here is a tip for people when ordering rod bearings for a 4age make sure you know which rod journal size you have. There is a 40mm and 42mm. Because when you go to put you nice new king bearigs into your rods and discover you have 42mm bearings but you wanted 40mm one it really pisses you off!!!! #*#*#*#!!
lucky i have a few spares laying around and another set of nice bearings presented themselves.

Anyway the cylinder head is also part assembled. New stem seals all valves back in with springs and buckets installed. Clearances checked with it off the block cos its so much quicker and easier.
So after my food brake it will be time to assemble a head to a block!

Oh also the race seat is now mounted with the new wheel plus the race harness is half in. Just waiting for a delivery from AJPS for my harness bar (Thanks david).

Some pictures

GrumpyRacing
8th October 2011, 08:20 PM
And here are some pictures of how the engine looked before i got to it

GrumpyRacing
9th October 2011, 01:57 AM
Well end of the night.
So were am i at?
Engine and box is out and on the floor. I started to pull the bits off that i need to transfer over. Such as the water pump and pipes and the altenator bracket.

The diff is now all changed and just needs some oil and its done. I did find something funny when i was under the car. The rear springs had been i stalled upside down. So the flat section was sitting on the notched part on the diff. It did explain why sometimes when driving out of drive ways i hear a big clunk from the rear end.
So thats all fixed and done

The seat and harness are done except for the harness bar.

The engine is a little more complete because i was waiting to pull some parts of the engine from the car.

So tomorrow is finish engine, swap the gear box, put it all in the car, install the new rotors and pads and then if there is time put the AJPS height adjustable coils in thr front

GrumpyRacing
9th October 2011, 11:03 PM
Today wasn't so productive due to a massive migrane. I eventually got out there and did some assembly on the engine.
Photos.

GrumpyRacing
10th October 2011, 07:20 PM
Well a quick update here.
Issues with buying an 86 and not looking under it are

Gearbox rubber mount was bolted to the gearbox but not bolted to the crossmember at all??????
Gearbox bolted to the engine....With only two (2!!!!) bolts!!!!
Rear main leaking like a MoFo.
Massive lack of compression in the engine as it was very very very easy to turn over by hand :(
Rear springs installed upside down.
Melted Dizzy cap due to no heat sheild between the extractors and the dizzy.

Overall was told the engine was good and its not happy at all!

But good news!
Everything will be fixed!
Fresh engine going in.
replacing gearbox, and putting ALL the bolts in. Lol
Springs put in correctly now.
New dizzy cap tomorrow and make a heat sheild to bolt to the extractors also.

Making for a happy '86!

GrumpyRacing
11th October 2011, 09:47 PM
Its tuesday night. The diff is done and full of oil. The engine and box are in and all connected. The seat is mounted and the wheel is change.

But then comes the scary part...will the engine start.
First i removed the coil lead so no spark to the engine, then i disconnected the fuel pump also.
Time to crank! I did a 30 second crank then waited 30. I did that 3 times just to prime the oil pump plus fill all the galleries with oil.
The time came to start it.
So i cranked. No go. The battery was flat.
Quick change to another battery and i was set to try again.
Crank. Crank. Crank. Crank. Hmm nothing. Ok try again. Crank crank. Little touch of the throttle and its alive!!!!

So happy. It sounded like it had a miss. Then i checked the injector connectora and one was loose. Pushed it back on amd it runs nice now.

Time to just double check stuff, Install the cooling system properly, put the bonnet back on and quickly get some km's on it.