PDA

View Full Version : Ke70 4age running really rough

AB-Ke70
24th September 2011, 01:49 AM
CAR - ke70
MOTOR - 4age 16V BP
USE - daily
PROBLEM/QUESTION - engine's running really rough on idle.
OCCURS/STARTED WHEN - i started the engine for the first time after conversion.

okay well i did a search for this and all i got was to adjust TPS and idle control bolt ontop of TB. however both of these do nothing but make my revs fly higher, not lower. when i start the engine on cold, the revs sit at around 2500 and 3000. then once it starts to heat up, the revs fluctuate between 2500 and 3500 every few seconds. then once it hits around quarter on the temp gauge, revs drop to 1200 and fluctuate even quicker between 1200 and 1800.

also dont know if i have any oil pressure because when i unscrew the oil cap, it looks like there's no oil in it.

the engine hasnt run for about 12 months. was pulled out of an ae82 and the engine sat there untill i got it. had a headgasket replaced 2 weeks before the car was written off and engine was removed.

what might help with diagnosis: has no exhaust at the moment, no filter on the TB, has adjustable fuel reg. fuel pressure fluctuates between 46-54 PSI as the revs fluctuate up and down.

the bloke who wired the car told me to run it for a few weeks for the injectors and all to unblock. i have also been told it just needs a tune?

thanks for the help guys :)

Matt
24th September 2011, 08:21 AM
The rev hunting is most likely air in the coolant. Bleed it by running the car with the rad cap off and the heater on. No oil pressure is a worry, for engines sitting around for a while I normally turn over by hand first, add a smudge of oil down the plug holes, disconnect the injectors and crank until the oil pressure light goes off. Then connect up the injectors and start it. 4ages run bad with open headers too

AB-Ke70
24th September 2011, 09:14 AM
Okay well when i started it for the first time i did that and i filled it back up with coolant but i will try again. With oil pressure im just gonna get a gauge to be certain.Another thing is i dont have the coolant goin to the TB. Mainly because its so tight where my remote thermo sits. Would that affect it in anyway? Cheers

lolwat
24th September 2011, 11:23 AM
vacume leak, mine was doing the exact same thing when i converted my KE (bp 16v), couldnt hear any leaks factor it was oly on extracters and you couldnt hear shit, get exhuast done, then smash around the inlet with carby cleaner

mine was hunting at idle, idleing at like 3 grand, back firing like a boss

AB-Ke70
26th September 2011, 01:33 PM
okay fluctuation in revs has been eliminated. simple as adding the two water pipes under the TB.
found my speedo doesnt work lol gotta check that.

lolwat
26th September 2011, 01:42 PM
Is it a jdm intake? as there not meant to be water lines there for p/s idle up

Nikkojoe
26th September 2011, 01:49 PM
Yes there are meant to be coolant lines going to any 16v 4ag(z)e throttle body for the cold start idle up control...

lolwat
26th September 2011, 01:55 PM
Cool, wasent quite sure, it running rough could be injectors that fuel pressure your running have you looked up too see wether that is too high?

AB-Ke70
26th September 2011, 02:07 PM
yess jdm rwd mani.
okay just took it for a drive around the block and noticed that it keeps cutting out when i just apply a small amount of throttle.
ill post a video of it, really wierd.

AB-Ke70
26th September 2011, 02:08 PM
easier to upload with facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=717294561

Matt
26th September 2011, 06:09 PM
Start by checking for error codes on the ecu. This is done by bridging the TE1 and E1 terminals in the diagnostic box. google will tell you how to read the codes, and if you haven't hooked up your Check engine light, now is the time to do it.

Also worth getting your exhaust mated up as open headers can also cause it to cut out under load.

AB-Ke70
26th September 2011, 07:36 PM
well its goin for exhaust tomorrow morning, see how it goes. only does it now when the car is stopped. when im driving it, it doesnt happen at all.