PDA

View Full Version : Identify my cams?

Deeken
8th October 2011, 05:33 PM
After about 2 hours of my dad and I fucking around with my engine trying to set up just the intake cam, we finally got it to open where we though it should (info i had 24 btdc) so yeah finally got it to start opening around there and thought okay cool, while we got it set up lets see where it closes.. info said 56 abdc.. turned it around.. didnt shut til 70 btdc on the exhaust stroke.. so its like a 300~ degree cam??

Both cams have 858c stamped on the back ends of them and i googled only to find they looked to be tighe cams, but the tighe cam with that number is for a 3sge.. and is only meant to have 260 duration.. so confused. Dad and I are nearly shitted to tears. so frustrating.

Anyone have any info on what these could be? also where cam gear pins should be in relation to the lobe? As these cams have like 8 holes or something and we dont know if they have had the pin put in the right hole..

Could anyone post me a link as to the method in setting the timing? my dad has never done adjustable gears or gears with multiple cam gear adjustment holes either, it's got him stumped..

I can get pics if anyone thinks I can't read, 858c. only place ive found cam related shit is tighe cams and they say they are a 3sge cam..

Can anyone help??

Thanks heaps,
Deeken.

Sam-Q
8th October 2011, 07:23 PM
take them out, go to a cam place and get them profiled

Celica RA45
8th October 2011, 08:21 PM
yeah but they are only 220 at 50 thou ,tighes uses the cam profiles for both 4age and 3sge so inlet opens at 24 and closes at 56 and ex opens at 58 and closes at 22
when you start to get cams that are 260 at 50 thou thats when the cams are getting towards a very hot race cam

Celica RA45
8th October 2011, 08:29 PM
ok set your exhaust where it would be std and the same with inlet ,then see if you have verier cam gears advance inlet by half a tooth and see whats thats like
i either set the cams on lobe centers or tdc lifter ries
the lobe center would be around 110-115 for those cams

Deeken
9th October 2011, 12:00 AM
But how are we meant to be able to adjust the exhaust cam once we've got the intake dialled in without losing the settings on the intake? because we have to take the tension off the belt and when it gets taken back up the belt will move the cam?

Confused..

Celica RA45
9th October 2011, 07:54 AM
if you have vernier cam pulleys you move the cams and keep the belt tension as std ,you need a shifter and just move the cam left or right them tighten up the bolts

*E7*
9th October 2011, 10:09 AM
Pics may help for those playing along at home. ;)

Deeken
9th October 2011, 10:51 AM
its a camshaft (LOL???????) with 858c stamped on the end of it..

Celica RA45
9th October 2011, 11:13 AM
do you have adjustable cam pulleys yes or no ,if not just set the cams up in the std toyota fashion

timbo
9th October 2011, 11:22 AM
Ring up Tighe cams, they are pretty damn helpful.

Deeken
9th October 2011, 12:12 PM
Regarded "just set them up standard yeeeaaahhhh" I would if they didn't have 8 adjustment holes for the knock pin to go in.. I'll go and get pics of the face of the cams and the back.. They are torqued down so im not pulling them out.

Deeken
9th October 2011, 12:27 PM
Meh can't even get a pic of the stamped number. The only marking on the cams is the 858C stamped on them..
What is a pic gonna prove?

Celica RA45
9th October 2011, 02:25 PM
ok smarty there should be a slot in the cam wheels so you can set them up as std like a file mark ,also these pulleys are they a star like the 3sge 1s

Deeken
9th October 2011, 08:08 PM
I have a set of standard 4age cam gears. And I haven't noticed any marks on the face of the cams to show where the default knock pin spot should be..

Nicko
10th October 2011, 08:47 AM
According to Tighecams (which i would bet they are with a code like that)

858c
http://tighecams.com.au/cars.htm
Check under Toyota - Twincam

Not sure if they fit across 4AGE and 3SGE? If so, they are a pretty basic cam

TODA AU
14th October 2011, 11:15 AM
After about 2 hours of my dad and I fucking around with my engine trying to set up just the intake cam, we finally got it to open where we though it should (info i had 24 btdc) so yeah finally got it to start opening around there and thought okay cool, while we got it set up lets see where it closes.. info said 56 abdc.. turned it around.. didnt shut til 70 btdc on the exhaust stroke.. so its like a 300~ degree cam??

Both cams have 858c stamped on the back ends of them and i googled only to find they looked to be tighe cams, but the tighe cam with that number is for a 3sge.. and is only meant to have 260 duration.. so confused. Dad and I are nearly shitted to tears. so frustrating.

Anyone have any info on what these could be? also where cam gear pins should be in relation to the lobe? As these cams have like 8 holes or something and we dont know if they have had the pin put in the right hole..

Could anyone post me a link as to the method in setting the timing? my dad has never done adjustable gears or gears with multiple cam gear adjustment holes either, it's got him stumped..

I can get pics if anyone thinks I can't read, 858c. only place ive found cam related shit is tighe cams and they say they are a 3sge cam..

Can anyone help??

Thanks heaps,
Deeken.

If you have Tighe 858c's, to get the cams timed per cam card is easy.
Intake LCA is 106deg / Exhaust LCA is 108deg
To arrive at this without a degree wheel just follow this method.
Aim for 0.050" lift (Measured at the lifter) at TDC for the intake camshaft.
This will give you a LCA of 110deg
To get 106deg, simply advance the cam by 4 deg (crankshaft) or 2 deg cam

Exhaust, Again aim for 0.050" lift (Measured at the lifter) at TDC.
Again, this will give you a LCA of 110deg
To get 108deg, simpley retard the cam by 2 deg (crankshaft) or 1 deg cam

Obviously you'll need acurate vernier scale pulleys to do this (Like Toda ones :P )
But the above method will deliver you cams set-up on spec & a good dataum for tuning.
My guess is you'll likley end up with LCA's of 105/105 after tuning, but the above is a good start point.

& ignore the total duration, just work on the 0.050" lift figures
also you'll need your valve clearences to be spot on to make it work. (0.008" IN / 0.010" Ex)
+ an acurate TDC guage & dial indicator.

Hope that helps,
Cheers

Adrian