View Full Version : 4AGZE super charger engagement

ae86 slide
28th May 2009, 07:25 AM
Pretty straight forward question, do AE101 ZE's have some sort of temp control in the ECU that does'nt allow the S/C to engage until the engine warms up?

Reason i ask is i recently got my engine running right (S/C belt was slipping). Since then its been parked for about 2 weeks. Took it for a trap around the block yesterday and it felt way down on power again and seemed to splutter a bit at low revs and then rev up ok.

Cheers lads.
Jase

Moebius
28th May 2009, 11:02 AM
Nope, the sc should engage anytime you put your foot down.

sundee
28th May 2009, 12:16 PM
The supercharger clutch works in the same way as an air conditioning compressor clutch. The pully itself spins freely on the supercharger input shaft. A coil of wire sits behind the pully and a metal disc sits in front. The front disc is connected to the actual input shaft of the supercharger. When the coil is engergized, the disc is drawn against the rotating pully and they then rotate together as a unit untill the coil is de-energized.
The ECU engages the supercharger based on intake manifold vacuum. When the vacuum drops below 8" the supercharger clutch is engaged. The clutch stays on untill the intake manifold vacuum has risen to over 10" for a period of 5 seconds. This time delay was added to avoid cycling of the clutch during shifts and momentary throttle transitions.

The clutch is operated by the ECU via a relay. The relay operates the clutch by grounding one side of the coil. The other side of the coil is connected to +12 volts when the ignition is in the ON position.

An intersting note is that the manifold vacuum will be low enough during highway driving that the SC clutch will stay engaged all the time. This typically occurs at speeds over 65 MPH.

Hen may possibly be a nut
28th May 2009, 06:53 PM
A link (http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Scnotes.htm) to the page sundee copied and pasted from. It is always good to acknowledge sources.

Hen

sundee
28th May 2009, 07:22 PM
A link (http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Scnotes.htm) to the page sundee copied and pasted from. It is always good to acknowledge sources.

Hen

yeah i was actually going to do that, dont no y i didnt.. as if i could rattle off spam like that.. please :DD