PDA

View Full Version : Exemptions!!

chrisfindlay
12th November 2011, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, im looking to get an exemption to drive my Ke70 on my P's, it has no mod-plate worthy engine mods, but it has 5 point harnesses, and bucket seats, so im just wandering if anyone has done anything similar, and what your reasoning was for needing the exemption..

:thumbup: Any help would be great, cheers.

haveaparty
12th November 2011, 02:41 PM
Take the harness out. Put seat covers on. Then call the transport department and see wat they say. Is they say yes u want this shit in writing.

ae86
12th November 2011, 04:08 PM
why you need an exemption ? my mate used to drive an 86 with bucket seats and 5 point harness? each time he got pulled over cops didnt say anything aslong as he was using his normal seatbelt at the time

Vaughn
12th November 2011, 04:56 PM
Sheep skin that shit :)! What bucket seat...........

hachi_dk
13th November 2011, 12:00 AM
In vic I drive a jzx100, dumped, front mount etc etc on my P's, i also drive a vn 5ltr, manual etc, and use to drive an 86 with cage, buckets, gauges, 20v and cops never said a word.

I dont know what the cops are like in qld but I wouldnt even worry about buckets and a harness.

AJPS
13th November 2011, 02:06 AM
In vic I drive a jzx100, dumped, front mount etc etc on my P's, i also drive a vn 5ltr, manual etc, and use to drive an 86 with cage, buckets, gauges, 20v and cops never said a word.

I dont know what the cops are like in qld but I wouldnt even worry about buckets and a harness.

fucking oath!

lolwat
13th November 2011, 02:21 AM
why you need an exemption ? my mate used to drive an 86 with bucket seats and 5 point harness? each time he got pulled over cops didnt say anything aslong as he was using his normal seatbelt at the time

In Nsw, you either have to have a seatbelt or a harness not both 1 or the other

.ady
13th November 2011, 02:23 AM

we're still friends? :D

ae86
13th November 2011, 07:59 AM
nah bro your uni/non car life took over now i never see ya :(

i dont see why you can only have 1 of the two ? what would be wrong with just using standard seatbelt when daily driving ? harness isn't doing anything wrong being there and a bucket well its prob safer than a standard seat with flimsy old rails

Jacobxxx
13th November 2011, 11:18 AM
Get your seats mod plated, doesn't make your car non p-plate legal in QLD laws. Read up on the P Plate restrictions and what Mod Plate Codes you're not allowed.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Restrictions.aspx

chrisfindlay
13th November 2011, 11:59 PM
Get your seats mod plated, doesn't make your car non p-plate legal in QLD laws. Read up on the P Plate restrictions and what Mod Plate Codes you're not allowed.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Restrictions.aspx

Where about's on the site is the mod plate area? I cant seem to locate it?

.ady
14th November 2011, 12:41 AM
nah bro your uni/non car life took over now i never see ya :(

i dont see why you can only have 1 of the two ? what would be wrong with just using standard seatbelt when daily driving ? harness isn't doing anything wrong being there and a bucket well its prob safer than a standard seat with flimsy old rails

doesnt have to be like that :( ill be back on the streets soon enough with a new rig ;)

Jacobxxx
14th November 2011, 09:24 AM
Pasted wrong link

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Restrictions/High-powered-performance-vehicles.aspx

sam2306
14th November 2011, 06:52 PM
in SA my mate got told that if he was wearing a harness he had to be wearing a seatbelt also

chrisfindlay
14th November 2011, 09:02 PM
Pasted wrong link

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Restrictions/High-powered-performance-vehicles.aspx

Hey Jacobxxx thanks for all your help, but I still cant see anything about Mods or modplates, I hope im not like acid tripping or something strange but I legitimately cant see anything?

haveaparty
15th November 2011, 11:38 AM
yeah i didnt see anything either, but wat i think its getting at is, as long as ur mods comply with the specs ur allowed to hav then go for it

floody
15th November 2011, 11:45 AM
Personally, if you don't have a cage, you're better off with a seatbelt than a harness. If you're in a rollover you're in deep sh.t if you're harnessed into a bucket seat with no roll protection. Might be fatalistic but you're only one redlight runner or wombat away from it.

floody
15th November 2011, 12:00 PM
Hey Jacobxxx thanks for all your help, but I still cant see anything about Mods or modplates, I hope im not like acid tripping or something strange but I legitimately cant see anything?

First things first. Getting a modification "approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010" is what p-platers cluelessly refer to as 'mod plating' without any idea as to what it actually means. That regulation is the legal instrument that sets out what modifications need to be approved by an engineer. Effectively, this is gaining engineers' certififcation of safety and compliance.

Conspicuous on the page linked were two major things; one conspicuous by its presence, one by its absence. By its presence, you can see explicitly that mechanical performance mods need to be 'mod plated' and these render a car ineligible for a P-Plater to drive.
By its absence, you see that there is no such restriction against engineered modifications to suspension, braking seating and so forth, implicitly saying that so long as modifications meet standards, and are engineer certified where necessary, P-platers may go ahead and do them
Unfortunately, your teachers probably didn't equip you with the critical literacy tools to analyse things like this, a sad consequence of the push for authentic learning and trend to internet based inquiry learning in this post-google era. So I am. Look for what isn't there, as much as what is. If one area of modification is explicitly referred to and others aren't, it likely means the others are not relevant to P-plater restrictions.

Now, what someone a little older who was actually taught at school how to research things would do is copy and paste the title of the regulation - Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 - into their address bar, click on the obvious link for either QLD legislation or austlii or whatever (if auto search enabled in IE;by default in Chrome/Mozilla Firefox), check what things need to be engineered/mod plated/approved under transport operations (blah blah) 2010 and mod their car responsibly as an informed citizen.

Without doing all the work for you I believe you will find that within the Regulations and Standards it is prescribed that modifications to seats and restraints must be approved by an engineer, so if said bucket seat and harness is not approved by said engineer, its not legal for a p-plater or anyone else for that matter to use.

Thats what grown-ups do. The education system has clearly failed and you have my sympathy.

focus_7
16th November 2011, 12:57 AM
Be careful you don't get a nosebleed from your high horse.

Also, thank you for providing the name of the document so many of us will need to read.

Jacobxxx
16th November 2011, 09:02 AM
That's the point i was getting at, if it's not listed its not prohibited.

floody
16th November 2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah absolutely. Although I would always check the legislation/regulations and vehicle standards bulletins as well before going ahead as most 'RTA' websites tend to just summarise and are by no means comprehensive.