PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE directly interchangeable in trueno?

bazz84
4th January 2012, 01:11 PM
hey guys i have a toyota sprinter trueno, and looking to replace the motor.

found a 4age out of a corolla GTI, was wondering if it is directly interchangeable?

other then using my current manifold etc, will i need to customise anything? or is the long motor a direct replacement?

sorry if this has been covere before, just need a quick answer.

so just to clarify are all 3 versions of the 16v 4age's directly interchangeable without any modifications.

thanks

FoldKing86
4th January 2012, 01:42 PM
Inlet ports different shape, your rwd manifold wont work without an adaptor.

Apart from that long motor and swap parts and away you go.

Pretty sure thats all, i havent farted around with 16v for over 5yrs. But i do know the ports are different.

shortround
4th January 2012, 01:56 PM
A 4AGE from a GTI would be a smallport, and as FoldKing said, the intake ports are different (also making TVIS redundant)

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=374

Use an adaptor like that in place of the TVIS plate, and then the ae86 inlet maniford will bolt on.

You will also want to use the ae86 waterpump (and everything associated like the pulley and the piping), the crank pulley, and any other ancillaries such as Aircon or power steering.

bazz84
4th January 2012, 02:34 PM
thanks for the quick reply guys.

looking to get the car back on the road pretty urgently. would it be easier to purchase a FWD bigport out of an earlier corolla?

shortround
4th January 2012, 02:39 PM
not really... the only step you will be skipping is replacing the TVIS with the adaptor plate.

You will still need to swap over all the other stuff (or you could use the engine in FWD format, but then you have to look at remote mounting a thermostat etc but this would be a silly option if you have all the RWD gear on hand!)

Matt
4th January 2012, 03:07 PM
Easier yes to get a bigport engine, as everything will bolt straight on and you won't have to source parts... But probably harder as the supply of good ae82 / bigport engines has dried up. Small port engines are also joining this category too.

I can't remember exactly as it has been a while , but to avoid having to rewire, you can run all the bigport electrics on a small port engine with ok results. Pretty sure this included the dizzy as well.

Don't forget to install a spiggot bearing in the FWD setup.

shortround
4th January 2012, 03:15 PM
Smallport long motor with bigport everything else except TVIS (ECU, wiring loom, dizzy, inlet manifold etc etc) is the exact setup I am running without issue.

Also you can then install your bigport cams for a couple of extra ponies.

timbo
4th January 2012, 05:43 PM
Also running a smallport long motor on bigport everything with smallport manifold. Don't get an adaptor plate as some have mentioned, spend the money and get the smallport manifold suited for RWD, bigport manifolds are shit.

-Smallport head
-Smallport block
-Smallport intake manifold
-Smallport fuel rail
-Bigport distributor
-Bigport cams
-Bigport RWD water pump if using clutch fan
-Bigport RWD water outlets
-Bigport loom and ECU
-Bigport injectors

I thinks that's it...

This setup doesn't run OK, it runs fucking awesome.

bazz84
5th January 2012, 11:01 AM
thanks for all the responses guys. really appreciate all the help.

would anyone know where i could source the adaptor plate locally?

that_guy_93
8th January 2012, 11:37 AM
hey, i know its not local but there is someone on ebay that just sells techno toy tuning parts, you might be interested...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4A-G-Hi-Comp-Small-Port-Big-Port-Adapter-Plate-16v-4AG-/380176676148?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58844bb534