PDA

View Full Version : 4age ECU speed limit

Rice86
16th January 2012, 01:07 PM
Car - ae86
engine - 16v 4age
use - for awesome times

So went for a drive on a race track with evil86 driving his civic and a mate with his type X.

anyways so question, is there a SPEED LIMIT on the standard RED 16v 4age ECU?
reason why im asking is because my car went past 180kmph and the speed needle kept going down until it hit the "reset km trip button" on the AE86 cluster..and when the speed needle hit that, the engine speed stopped progressing..like it just stopped or something..

i was still going at the same speed but the engine or gearbox, something did make a loud sound like a CLUNK.. as that happened i released the accelerator and the car gradually slowed itself down back to 180kmph then back to within the speed gauge

when the CLUNK happened i was in 5th gear, speed needle was off the charts and revs was at 5000rpm, still had 2500 revs left.. but couldn't or i should say did not want to push the car beyond to find out if it will CLUNK again.. so thoughts came to mind, ECU has a speed limit and i hit it

thoughts?

Matt
16th January 2012, 02:10 PM
smallports AFIK don't have a speed limiter.... 20v blacktop definately does at 180km.

Speed limiter is more a fuel / ignition cut similar to when you hit the limiter in other geers rather than a "CLUNK"

Rice86
16th January 2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Matt, yeah the car defiantly felt like a fuel cut now you mentioned it, I just couldn't describe it at the time I wrote this so I wrote what I heard which as clunking choke sound.

Cheers