PDA

View Full Version : Lca bushes

odessy
20th January 2012, 02:20 PM
I have some xt130 lca's here that I have new bushes/joint for but when I went to get them pressed in I was told I also need the outer bush housing that is supposed to be re-used?

I presume the ones ffrom the bushings on my 86 arms will work?

Sam-Q
20th January 2012, 02:32 PM
yes that correct on both counts, I made the same mistake.

Vaughn
20th January 2012, 02:35 PM
Did you press the whole metal casing out when you removed the bushes?

And i would also assume that they are very similar... im sure someone would know if not go to your local Car shop and im sure they would have it in there super pro book

odessy
20th January 2012, 02:54 PM
I bought them from someone who had already pressed them out.

Sam, will pressing the ones out of the ae86 arms damage them or will they be able to be re-used?

meadan
20th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Just put something in the control arm to stop it from squashing as you press the casing out.

I have put the metal casing from an ae86 into an xt130 control arm, it works all good.

I think some brands of bushes give you a new outer casing with the bush....I cant imagine why theyd bother though..

Javal
20th January 2012, 09:23 PM
Just put something in the control arm to stop it from squashing as you press the casing out.

I have put the metal casing from an ae86 into an xt130 control arm, it works all good.

I think some brands of bushes give you a new outer casing with the bush....I cant imagine why theyd bother though..

I've found the best method of removing the control arm bushes is to simply purchase a small holesaw bit and drill them out, while taking care not to damage the inner of the metal casing. It's a smokey, smelly messy exercise but it almost guarantees that you won't damage the metal casings or bend the arm - I secure mine in a vice and insert a metal collar in around the casing to ensure that no crushing occurs - I killed enough control arms in my youth by bending them to learn my lesson and be cautious.

New bushes can be fitted simply by lubing the metal tube and using a vice to push them in.

However if the metal tube has been pressed out and you wish to have them removed and fitted to some new arms I suggest you leave it to a professional to do the work.

stahlz_ae86
20th January 2012, 10:35 PM
I machined up special press attatchments for popping out LCA bushes and panhard bushes etc. Well worth the effort to tool up properly and make the job fast every time you come to it. I must admit though I will probably just be using T3 weld on adj. LCA kits from now on, very good product and don't need to worry about flogging bushes out when running positive caster. Doing this with my pano, planning to use a sensible allignment of neg 0.5-1ish degree camber and plus 3 caster with adjustable lower arms and stock rubber strut tops, giving a car that handles well without killing tyres and bushes :)

Vaughn
20th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Paul xt130 LCA's give you about that much camber anyway :)

stahlz_ae86
20th January 2012, 11:30 PM
Yes I know but when you pull +3 caster onto stock arms it stresses the bushes.