PDA

View Full Version : Ae86 rear end wobble, pedal pulsating.... drum brake set-up

ae86_pwr
26th January 2012, 07:09 PM
So yah picked up my first ae86 today, driving along it has a slight wobble noise from arse end (think it has something to do with the drum brake) its more so on the drivers side i think. When you start to brake medium to heavy amounts the pedal will pulsate a fair bit. It has had new shoes ect put in it..

any suggestions will be appreciated Thank you :))

jakel
26th January 2012, 08:28 PM
Are the brakes adjusted properly and did they machine the drums when they replaced the shoes?

ae86_pwr
26th January 2012, 09:06 PM
yah he said they were machined, i assume he adjusted them. Not sure if he had done it properly. Will have a look on the weekend, this is my first car with drummies so i will try to figure it all out

Hen may possibly be a nut
26th January 2012, 10:22 PM
Just to be 100% sure it is the rear end, try pulling the handbrake gently while moving. If it still wobbles then it is definitely rear brakes.

ae86_pwr
27th January 2012, 03:13 PM
yah pulled the handbrake when i was driving it, did the same thing. If i get motivated today ill pull it apart

dying3k
27th January 2012, 06:26 PM
drums for sure, the drums might be on there minimum, and if they where over adjusted cause of the drums to "warp"

Dazzla86
28th January 2012, 01:03 AM
bent axle maybe???

Gunner
28th January 2012, 08:34 AM
bent axle maybe???

That would be my vote.

ae86_pwr
28th January 2012, 09:15 AM
i hope its not a bent axle haha, the car didnt do it a week earlier went i test drove it. Since the test drive he adjusted the handbrake (which is still shit) and had the drum off for some reason. Possible he didnt put it back on properly?

Gunner
28th January 2012, 09:27 AM
All you can do is pull it down and check it. Before you pull it apart, get both rear wheels up and let the car idle in first (so the wheels are spinning) and see if the wheel is wobbling about. if it is pull the axle out, and put a straight edge against it. Its probably bent.

jakel
28th January 2012, 10:44 AM
If you were a bit closer I could probably come over and lend a hand, if you can get access to some V blocks and a dial guage that will tell you if your axle is bent or if not do as said above also check what the bearings feel/look like if you end up pulling it out.

Dazzla86
29th January 2012, 02:13 AM
Sounds like in that week of you test driving it old mates thumped it into a kerb
Then tried to fix it up before you got the car..... Best pull the bent axle out and go thump the seller on the bent
side and it may possibly straighten back ;p

ae86_pwr
29th January 2012, 01:01 PM
^^^haha possible, thing is car wasnt regoed so shouldnt have been driving it anyways. Awell, ill do what Gunner suggested jack up the back end see if theres any wobble and pull it out and go axle shopping, have to get another diff for a roadworthy anyway so two birds with one stone i guess

CoastalLED
29th January 2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Dan,

It will be the brakes again mate need adjusting properly as I'm probably retarted. Take rear wheels off and drum cover, then u will see the cog u can adjust with. I didn't have enough time and patience obviously.

Let me know how u go mate.

For the others, axels are fine :)

ae86_pwr
29th January 2012, 04:15 PM
Hey Dan,

It will be the brakes again mate need adjusting properly as I'm probably retarted. Take rear wheels off and drum cover, then u will see the cog u can adjust with. I didn't have enough time and patience obviously.

Let me know how u go mate.

For the others, axels are fine :)

Hey Troy,
Thanks, yah havent really had a chance to check anything out its been raining a heap. Havent had anything to do with drum brakes but im sure ill figure it all out

dying3k
29th January 2012, 05:12 PM
its not going to be caused to unadjusted shoes, long pedal travel and shit handbrake will be, if you have another diff, take the drums off that and throw them on and see if there's any difference