View Full Version : Track car water cooled brakes

mrbigport
30th January 2012, 02:45 PM
CAR - KE70
Motor - 4AGTE (300+whp)
USE - Track only

Question-

hey guys, I'm toying with the ideas for brake cooling on my KE70
I'm currently running jdm 86 vented disks and calipers and due to wheel size (13x7) cant go jumping to bigger disks without it costing a small fortune in wheels and semi-slicks.

what are peoples thoughts on the pros and cons of:-

positive pressure brake ducts - forcing air from the front of the car onto the disks

negative pressure brake ducts - drawing heat away using a venturi style duct

water cooling - using either water mist in a positive pressure duct or water mist injected through the center of the vented disk vanes and allowing the air flow of the rotating disk to draw the water through.

any other ideas would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Gunner
30th January 2012, 03:31 PM
why not just match the pads and fluid to the temps you're getting?

mrbigport
30th January 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm already doing that to an extent, but ultimately the higher the temps the higher the cost of consumables (pads and rotors) and also the more frequently they will need to be changed.
Thus if i can keep the average temps lower then the longer they'll last both overall and in a session.

Gunner
30th January 2012, 03:52 PM
Ok fair enough, I'd start at positive pressure ducting, then I'd go from there. I'd be worried about over cooling with the water cooling.

mrbigport
30th January 2012, 03:58 PM
http://www.willallracing.com.au/gtrbrakes.htm

something like this....but I'm thinking I'll have a pyrometer attached to the back of the pad and the water cooling wont be armed until say 300deg and then it will activate while the brake lights are on thus eliminating the chance of over-cooling

Gunner
30th January 2012, 04:07 PM
It's a cool kit, but I think on a corolla it would be overkill, and you would be better off spending money else where. I've seen 400kw evos overcool the brakes just from ducting, hence why I think its a bit of overkill for corolla.

But dude it's your carm if you want to do it, go for it, only one way to see if it is a viable investment.

SHEPPO3930
31st January 2012, 04:21 PM
Ducting number 1. Feed it from the front splitter with some small scoops, and pump it into the middle of the rotor.

If that doesn't do much, then look into water spray.... just check it's allowed at the track you drive at.