PDA

View Full Version : Rear Quarter Panel Windows!!!

Maloney
2nd June 2009, 07:59 PM
I currently own a 1984 AE86 Sprinter Levin, i had taken out the rear windows to get to a little rust. I had taken off the rubber borders with the metal slides off and removed the clips, but when i tired putting it all back together i was lost, would a standard car windscreen repairer know how to fix this? or anybody in the Newcastle area that now's what there doing please help, or if anybody or this forum with a layout or something all help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Nikkojoe
2nd June 2009, 08:07 PM
Edit let me re-read what you are asking

Ok, from memory you have black clips, yellow and large grey ones.

The yellow run all along the bottom

The black run on the side pillar and 2x black at the top

The large grey run down the sloping side.

I found you put the black trims on in the following order:
Put the small vertical pillar strip on first, then fit the corner bits on
Put the long bottom bit on next (i slide most of it onto the clips to avoid breaking them).
Put the top bit on next and slide into the corners.

I hope that answers your question.

Maloney
2nd June 2009, 08:18 PM
Edit let me re-read what you are asking

Ok, from memory you have black clips, yellow and large grey ones.

The yellow run all along the bottom

The black run on the side pillar and 2x black at the top

The large grey run down the sloping side.

I found you put the black trims on in the following order:
Put the small vertical pillar strip on first, then fit the corner bits on
Put the long bottom bit on next (i slide most of it onto the clips to avoid breaking them).
Put the top bit on next and slide into the corners.

I hope that answers your question.

they have been re-sprayed over but the little parts that u screw into the clips i was wondering there they are positioned again how they have different sizes and heights because the rails are sitting to high in some spots.

Nikkojoe
2nd June 2009, 08:41 PM
Are you talking about the retainer that you screw the clips into? If so, they are all the same for each of the clips. If you are talking about the position of the clips, re-read my post above. If you cannot see the colour, its easy to see the grey one because its the largest.

The black and yellow are very similar. The only difference is the yellow have a larger bump at the base of the clip and the screw is more centralised compared to the black clip.

jdm86gtz
6th June 2009, 03:50 AM
Here's a picture of mine before fitting the trims
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/8/15613.jpg

s14seriesII
7th June 2009, 01:02 PM
for anyone else trying to refit the trims its easier to put the trims back together in one piece and install as a compete item :)

Nikkojoe
7th June 2009, 09:30 PM
for anyone else trying to refit the trims its easier to put the trims back together in one piece and install as a compete item :)

but it also increase the chance of breaking the clips which are old and brittle, and these things are not cheap to get!

Jonny Rochester
7th June 2009, 09:38 PM
I did this today. The trims are not 100% sitting right. How do you do it? Some clips are broken.

I used polyurethene sealant, and had to use quite a fat bead of it, then press the glass in a bit to make sure it made a seal.

s14seriesII
7th June 2009, 10:22 PM
sometimes its tricky to get the trim over the clips properly..

Nikkojoe
7th June 2009, 11:49 PM
The grey ones usually dont break, but if you sort of squish the trim together it will make it a tighter fit (note this only works for the grey clips, the same could be applied to the yellow and black but they usually depend on the condition of the clip).

I would try and arrange the broken clips and good clips (for trims to sit good) as follows:

The two top black clips, make sure atleast one good one up top and place it (with reference to the picture) to the left most position. The straight vertical side, place a good clip at the top and bottom, middle not too important. The bottom, atleast 1 good clip to the left most position, and 1 good clip to the 2nd from the right most position. The sloping edge get one good clip at the top and one at the bottom.