PDA

View Full Version : jz mx73 build questions

cressidways
17th February 2012, 07:16 PM
hey all,
i am planig on starting the big swap in the next couple of weeks, and i can get my hands on either a 2j or 1j with a r154! iv heard that i will have clearance issues with the 2j but i cant find anything about it and also i want to know of opinions on going half cut or i can get 1/2j engine package(ecu,loom)
but i dont know if il need anything else out of the half cut such as powersteering reservoir, and anything else i may need, im open to all opinions and just need some help :D

thanks

Matt
17th February 2012, 07:58 PM
if you go 2j then its easier to ditch the twin turbos and go for a big single. Not sure on what you need outta the half cut , but i'll know i a couple of months

cressidways
19th February 2012, 01:29 PM
Il know by then as well lol wish me luck, apparently there is excessive mounts that give you 2.5 inches back and forward to mount the engine so you can get the turbos to clear the master cylinder, gotta get my hands on a set!

Skylar
19th February 2012, 11:19 PM
Get a vvti 1jz motor with single turbo. It'll give you clearance at the brake master/clutch master/steering column. That's what my mate did, not mx73 though.

I prefer to get front cuts over motor packages unless you know exactly what you're getting and there is NOTHING missing. If it's something hard to come by, it might be expensive new or spend ages looking for one. Stuff like factory ignitor or a plug for the AFM was damaged and you need a new one. Getting a half cut that runs and you know you have everything you need. I had to piece together 2 engine conversions because i got the engines cheap and it just wastes time looking for XXX and buying from another state.

cressidways
19th February 2012, 11:48 PM
yeah thats exactly what i was thinking, half cut is my first preference but if i cant get my hands on one for months i will go engine package! and i sorta wanted twins

Matt
20th February 2012, 06:47 AM
Big single > twins any day....

cressidways
20th February 2012, 09:55 PM
il do brakes suspension and diff before i go single but in the mean while il get as much out of the twins as possible