PDA

View Full Version : Track Basher

DR1FTER
4th March 2012, 07:40 PM
Hey all,

I'm 19, have loved drifting since the pre-'batin days, got an apprenticeship because of the influence drifting had blah blah blah inspritational music.

Ended up with a VL commodore for my first car, got me to work and back whilst i patiently waited for my opens, but 2 months ago found out that drifts days were being held in North Queensland, so i went to the bank faster than a kenyan at the olympics to buy something for track. Being Towsnville, there is sweet FA in terms of "cheap" track cars, and i didn't want anything registered that at the end of the day could cost me my licence. Found a neat little sprinter around the corner from work, reasonable condition, running, ready to drift. So I shelled out the cash i had been carrying around feeling boss about, and drove it back to work.

The mods are:
Motor/driveline:
4age 16v bigport motor
Kelway turbo manifold
T25-g turbo
custom dump pipe and exhaust
aftermarket fuel pressure regulator
Lt-10 microtech ecu with hand controller
5 puk ceramic clutch
T-50
1 peice tailshaft
T-18 diff, with CIG locker

Body:
silver and red
Cusco front adjustable coil-overs
7kg front coils, 5.5 rear coils
kyb excel short stroke shocks
35mm RCA spacers
Extra lock spacers
sigma LCA
Adjustable camber tops

Interior:
Only has 2 seats
pretty much everything has been stripped out of the car.
Drift button handbrake
rear shock tower brace

The car makes 148.2rwkw 12psi and 423NM of torque

Upon arrival, gave it a good wash and started to hook into the "niggly" things that A: I wanted fixed and B: that needed to be done for scrutineering etc.

So, the first mission was to undo the turbo feed and stop the small leaking that was coming from it, que kingchrome spanner to undo, applied light pressure, and *tink* the fitting snaps and leaves the thread in the block. FML. Proceeded to try easy out, would not budge, slowly drilled it out, when it was down to just a little bit of brass in the block, I got my seal picks and slowly chipped it out of the block thread, just as i remove the last little bit, a chunk of the block falls off, Swearing wildly at this point. So after much stressing and kicking, i calmed down and took some advice of some local guys, and decided to use a longer fitting, as only a small part of the block "moulding" had come away at the side of the thread, leaving 3/4 of a thread, fitted a new thread, after cutting a tapered fitting to parralel, and it is now thread taped and epoxied around the missing chunk, so fingers crossed no leaks for the life (expect it to be short) of the 4A.

Next mission was to find a replacement T25 as it is leaking oil and is blowing more smoke than the equipment at a Year 9 disco, so that has arrived, and needs to be pulled apart and have some threads taped for the modified wastegate. Other than that, as far as being able to get on the track, It just needs a good service and an overflow bottle. 3 weeks and counting for more parts and some spare tyres, on a 3rd year wage, means many 2 minute noodles will be consumed.

The plan is to strip the car after the march event and fit brides and harnesses, stich weld as much as i can, get some shotgun tips for the "diff" dumping exhaust, If the motor survives, get it setup for a 20V conversion with an R154, and tidy it up, as much as a love rat cars, nothing, imo, is better than a stickered up, well presented track car. Thinking either ripping off the Run free trueno livery, or doing something very close to the original "madbul", back in '05/06 when "Mad mike" Had a 20B in his RX7, with a black roof, white body and modern grey and black camo.

So fingers crossed for a little more luck in the future :(

john84ie
4th March 2012, 07:50 PM
bout time someone bought that car,its been on carsales.com for a long time! best of luck with it

DR1FTER
4th March 2012, 07:59 PM
Haha yeah I'm a nissan man at heart, but, its set up and ready to go, with a little bit of cash it should serve me well :) Thanks man.

Bustin_86
5th March 2012, 06:03 AM
Nice car, action shots are prime :)

Just out of interest, why an R154? They cost a good 2-3 times as much as a W series box. W series is a proven performer even for a turbo 20v setup. I imagine there would be a fair bit of tunnel work to shoehorn a R154 into a 86, not even considering how you would go about getting a bellhousing to work.

joeschmo_57
11th March 2012, 02:52 AM
did you pay the asking price?

Either way, its a pretty decent deal. Should serve you well.
Got any bets on how long the 4A will last?