PDA

View Full Version : yet another water system question!!

adds
29th March 2012, 10:15 PM
Okay, ok, so I'm a bit of a noob, but i just want a quick answer.

I'm setting up my water system Without, a heater...I have been reading stuff and someone said i have to individually block the thermostat and the rear outlet...HUH??

Im confused..

The image i have below is without a heater rite?...can i just simply copy that??

YES/NO....

Sam-Q
30th March 2012, 12:54 AM
don't copy that, that person whoever it was did it wrong. The water oulet off the back of the head should be blocked and not go into the back of the remote thermostat housing.

Rice86
30th March 2012, 08:55 AM
That is a neat FWD converted RWD water setup i must say

adds
30th March 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks Sam..so I can just copy that except.. Block the rear water outlet and the thermostat bit..?
Why do u have to block them like that?

Sam-Q
30th March 2012, 10:16 AM
that's correct

the reason why is because a heater core normaly works by running in parallel with the radiator, the restriction of flow stops all the water going through one or the other. When it is simply looped such as in the photo then it's purely a radiator bypass, and an effective one at that as it's just a straight pipe.

adds
30th March 2012, 10:20 AM
Sweet as that's all I need

Thanks

jaz_ae86
30th March 2012, 12:42 PM
I will add some flow out the rear water outlet is a good thing. Constant flow on the ECU water temp sensor is good and reduces the chance of the rear of the head getting a hot spot.
I run a loop out the rear outlet (using RWD unit has 6mm nipple), to the throttle body and off the the turbo.

However that setup is very neat but a radiator bypass it is.

adds
30th March 2012, 12:52 PM
So what your saying the outlet at the back of the head, just use it for a water feed to the turbo?? I'm not running any water to the throttle body.

jaz_ae86
30th March 2012, 01:08 PM
That's how I was running it, no throttle body, just turbo then back to waterpump. Nice constant water flow through the turbo.

Having said that, having no temp compensated idle up was the biggest pain in the arse. I am going to 3 wire type toyota idle control motor with my Haltech.

Sam-Q
30th March 2012, 01:09 PM
jaz_ae86: while your concept is sound- on the model that didn't have the throttle loops it gets no water flow when the heater is off. I think the heatsoak and water turbulence is more than enough.

adds: yes you can use that feed to go straight to the turbo and the return back to that point on the thermostat housing

adds
30th March 2012, 04:55 PM
Aahuh... All is clear as mud!!

Cheers guys