PDA

View Full Version : info on fitting rear 86 calipers to series 1 T18 diff

dove grey 64
21st April 2012, 11:13 PM
anybody have any info on fitting some jdm 86 rear calipers to a t18 diff? handbrake cables need changing? need caliper mounting brackets? any other hurdles to overcome?
cheers

Ktas
22nd April 2012, 02:23 AM
pretty sure that the backing plates are a different bolt pattern as the first hurdle, second one you might come across is the caliper fouling on the shocks

Skylar
22nd April 2012, 03:55 PM
The backing plates are nowhere near bolting up. S/T/F/G diffs are rectanglular axle tubeflange bolt pattern but disc diffs are like a trapezium(? I think that's the shape). Cables need changing too.

Get some caliper brackets made that uses s13 calipers and discs as parts are far more plentiful. It's not too hard to adapt the s13 gear, I just had to make a bracket to hold the cables up in the tunnel and drill out the cable splitter to 10mm, I think.

Or it'd be easier to bolt in a disc braked diff.

dove grey 64
22nd April 2012, 08:18 PM
lol i've already got the jdm rear calipers/pads and rotors coming in the mail. just dont have caliper mounting brackets and handbrake cables. i''ve read that going to corona rear ends is the easiest. so im most likely going to have to machine up a new type of bracket to make it work. odd there is so much difference

Hen may possibly be a nut
29th April 2012, 02:46 AM
Forget JDM discs onto a drum diff. Far easier and cheaper to get a full Corona setup (from Pick-a-part) then mess with a custom backing plate. Plus you get a decent handbrake in the end too.