PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Rail.

gumbie
5th June 2009, 09:59 PM
Sooo.. As my mate was jacking my car up under my chassis rail, it decided to give way and crumple :S, Nothing to major but still doesn't look right lol..

Anyway, question is, Is it possible to cut it out and weld a new piece in??

marvis
5th June 2009, 11:09 PM
Where? Pics?

marvis.

Jonny Rochester
6th June 2009, 12:36 AM
If he was jacking a main part of the body you could call "chassis rail" I doubt it would have crumpled. You are obviously talking about another part that is not considered a chassis rail, and the damage is probably mostly cosmetic.

It is common for the seam to fold over when you jack from those parts.

Cerby86
6th June 2009, 01:25 AM
i bet its that bit of boxish section that runs under back seat foot well!!
Is there now big lumps in the foot well?

ke_70
6th June 2009, 02:15 AM
i hav the same problem shiting my self it wont pass regancey

todd
6th June 2009, 02:43 AM
mine passed engineering/pits inspections with the crumpled box sections under the footwell lol.

blair
6th June 2009, 09:43 AM
i bet its that bit of boxish section that runs under back seat foot well!!
Is there now big lumps in the foot well?

lol. mines like that!!

Dazzla86
6th June 2009, 09:44 AM
i had to shorten my left front castor rod 25mm after puttin mine up a kerb, pulled the whole left chassis rail back. used a jack on the cross member to push the rad support back out an, hammered the rail flat again, then plated it to strengthen. Had 2 yellows thus far an never been an issue. Not that i tell them haha....

gumbie
6th June 2009, 10:47 AM
Pic as requested! It's under the Drivers side seat area.

chrisjjanfd3s
6th June 2009, 02:42 PM
This is exactly what happened to me :( , very interested in how peolpe fix this

ae86
6th June 2009, 03:45 PM
think panelbeaters can straighten them a fair bit but as panelbeating comes, mostlikely pricey

Konakid
6th June 2009, 04:02 PM
dont even worry about it.

hao.
6th June 2009, 04:12 PM
^ What Konakid said. Mine are like that on both sides and it hasn't hindered the handling of the car in anyway. Those sections of the underbody are flimsy and weak as fark anyway.

Eircamae86
6th June 2009, 04:43 PM
Thats a classic, along with screwing the towing eye into the front of the rail & pulling it straight out.

Nikkojoe
6th June 2009, 06:13 PM
gosh.....

Why would one even think to jack on that part...? Jack from the points you put your normal car jack which are designed to take the weight of the car.

That said it wont do anything to performance of the car, though for registration purposes it wont look good. It honestly looks like an easy fix with decent pulling hammer, after all it is pretty thin steel there.

marvis
6th June 2009, 07:18 PM
I agree. Don't worry about it :)

Dan_J
7th June 2009, 08:09 PM
dont even sweat it....

but it will fail rwc

Golberg
8th June 2009, 03:39 PM
As everybody has said, there isn't much you can do. I'd just suggest that next time you look at the manual for the jacking points and watch as it goes up.

I only ever jack from the engine crossmember or diff anyway, saves the hastle.