PDA

View Full Version : T18 diff. Which axles?

maxhag
5th May 2012, 02:38 AM
fellas,

I have recently pulled out a R31 modified diff (KAAZ 2 -way) in my track 86, as I was having problems with it.

Anyway, I had a T18 (drum) diff, with TRD 2 way (havent checked, but what I was told) sitting around that I bought off a good mate last year. I have just almost finished putting the diff in the car.
The car is a drift car, and a very experienced AE86 drifter friend has told me that I will snap axles. I have never had a T series before, and I dont know the fine details about them. I went straight from S series to R31 in the past...
I want to get some spare axles as I have entered a comp, 10 hrs drive away. Do comp, and drive home again :P I dont want to get stuck..... Gonna even do some fishing on the way :P

So my real question is: What axles can I use for that setup? T18, Can I use other model axles? Do I have to modify anything?

I have read some things about cutting them down or something, but conflicting with other stuff. I figure this is the best place to get a straight answer.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I couldn't find a definate answer in a search.

Thanks guys,

JoJo

** Since the question was asked, if anyone has any for sale, send me a PM

jakel
5th May 2012, 01:24 PM
There is a whole kit you can buy from MCN sport I think with full spool and stronger axles to handle around 300hp, pretty pricey though.

Delazy
5th May 2012, 01:25 PM
Yeh pricey and only fits a jdm housing...looking into purchasing direct from weir spence in the US atm...

shortround
5th May 2012, 02:32 PM
Hey Jojo. Only the t18 axles fit in the t18 diff, even though it shares the same centre as the ae86 early/zenki disc brake diff.

The difference between them is that the t18 axles use a single row bearing, where as ALL ae86 t-series disc brake diffs use double row bearings.

jakel
5th May 2012, 04:09 PM
^ Pretty sure that's the larger axle diffs?

shortround
5th May 2012, 04:35 PM
Nah zenki and kouki use the double row bearing. I've got one of each spare in my shed.

^ Pretty sure that's the larger axle diffs?

jakel
5th May 2012, 05:19 PM
Ah, any chance of fitting the other bearings to those axles?

Jimmee1990
5th May 2012, 05:51 PM
As far as I know all drum brake t series used the same bearings, and only disc brake diffs have the double row bearings?

maxhag
5th May 2012, 06:22 PM
hmmm, once again, conflicting opinions/info.....

Do we have a clear answer?

T18 - yes
Drum 86 - ? Zenki or Kouki?
Disc 86 - ? Zenki or Kouki?

shortround
5th May 2012, 06:40 PM
I believe Jimmiee1990 is correct that the AE86 t-series drum brake diff also use the single row bearings, but these are quite rare.

So axles that will fit in a t18 diff:
* T18 axles
* AE86 zenki/early drum brake axles

No kouki/late ae86 axle will fit in a t18 diff! disk or drum.

I read that it might be possible to just mount a single row bearing on a AE86 t-series zenki/early disk brake axle??? but I'd guess it would be cheaper to buy t-18 axles than AE86 ones??

Thought about billet axles if you start breaking them Jojo? My mate got some made in Canberra for about $400 each.

maxhag
5th May 2012, 07:04 PM
cheers, thanks mate

jakel
5th May 2012, 07:09 PM
I thought so!

maxhag
5th May 2012, 08:40 PM
I believe Jimmiee1990 is correct that the AE86 t-series drum brake diff also use the single row bearings, but these are quite rare.

So axles that will fit in a t18 diff:
* T18 axles
* AE86 zenki/early drum brake axles

No kouki/late ae86 axle will fit in a t18 diff! disk or drum.

I read that it might be possible to just mount a single row bearing on a AE86 t-series zenki/early disk brake axle??? but I'd guess it would be cheaper to buy t-18 axles than AE86 ones??

Thought about billet axles if you start breaking them Jojo? My mate got some made in Canberra for about $400 each.

Sorry to be a pain, but can I use AE86 Zenki Disc axles? Or AE86 zenki drum axles only?

Jimmee1990
6th May 2012, 11:32 PM
Only zenki drum axles, the disc axles are completely different and use a double row bearing.